Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #1

Pentax X-5: No Image!

Help! I have just purchased a Pentax X-5 'bridge' digital camera. I got it from a well-known on-line trader and collected it from a local shop yesterday. I followed the start-up instructions, loading 4xAA batteries and an SD card, removed the lens and prepared to be wowed however...

No image! Just a black screen. The camera electronic data all shows clearly both in the viewfinder and the large screen on the back but no image from the lens. I tried taking a couple of snaps and a short video but all they take is a pure black image. I tried the trouble-shooting section of the manual and it suggests pressing the EVF button and making sure the camera is not connected to the PC or a TV (I did and it isn't!).

Maybe it has a duff sensor but before I return it is there anything else I can do to 'fix' it or have I overlooked something incredibly simple?

Any comments appreciated

Michael

01-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check that the switch on the SD card isn't set to the locked position.
01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Ole. I am using an 'old' SD card which has previously been used without problem in a Samsung camcorder and I have used the reformat facility in the X-5 to reformat it. The X-5 shows the SD card as "The SD Memory Card is inserted. Images will be saved on the SD Memory Card." I have checked the card and the lock/unlock switch is slid up into the unlock position.

Michael
01-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just a final on this one, I did also e-mail Pentax via their website and they have confirmed that it is most likely a sensor fault so back to the on-line supplier it has gone. Picked up the replacement this morning and first impressions very good. Off to SW USA in a weeks time so plenty of opportunities to try the X-5 there.

Michael