Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

Pentax and attitude to customers

My name is Egor, I'm from Russia. Looked reviews of Pentax cameras and I chose K-5... but what was frustrating when the my new camera absolutely nothing could photograph sharply! I sent the unit in to service center for adjust, then got better, but let, my old Olympus E-520 is focused in the dark better! It focuses more time, yes, but for sure! Pentax just buzzing here and there. Not to mention the fact that some of the objects Pentax K-5 can not make a sharp even in daylight, especially if it is yellow or red object. Additionally, during the video shoot in Full HD in the center of the frame is noticeable bright dot ("Pixel mapping" don't remove it). In short, I can't use such a camera. I wrote to Pentax Support more than once - a few months they feed me unsubscribing, just like in the Soviet Union. What it may be easier to take and send me a new camera which working properly - it is normal practice in the world. But as I understand it, Pentax makes exceptions for different countries or races? Again he offered me to send the camera to adjust. Why? Where is the logic, hell? Its already set up, and how I myself studied the problem and design the K-5 camera, I realized that the repair will not help - need a another AF module. Overall, I asked to replace my camera to a new model K-5 II. Because... how can you understand the logic, when you have spent $ 1200 on the camera (I must say - very expensive!) and it does not work properly! I could sell it, but at a much lower amount. Tell me, Pentax, why should I buy the problems from you for my money?

Now Pentax tech support just made ​​my email to the black list and do not want to answer. As the last bastards, sorry. It seems that Pentax considers us so. I will be happy if many people see this letter, let them know that if they break something Pentax camera, and it will not be repaired, then you will be sent away for a long time to go to the service like program in BASIC:
01 go to service center
02 if the camera not repaired go to 01
03 if the camera repaired go to 04
04 end
run

Thanks, friends, I hope I have not offended any of the Pentax fans, and hope you do not get anyone on the money. But I think that users Pentax K-5 is in full agreement that the AF of this camera is full of crap. And if I had known before you buy, what to buy is, then nothing would not have spent $ 1,200. Yes, damn it, I feel pity money for it! And I want to tell you in plain text on how Pentax refers to those customers who are like me. By the way, I want to say that in my city in central Russia there is no service center of Pentax. It is only in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Fun, is not it? Ha-ha-ha. But I was not funny. Is it so difficult to change my camera to K-5 II which normally works?! So you do not need - idiot already bought the product, now let him deal with their problems. Yes. So thought the Soviet cattle. Thank you.

01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Pentax! There is noting wrong with the actual design of the K-5's AF except for a certain front-focus issue in tungsten light, which doesn't affect most users. Thus, it's more likely that your particular copy is either broken or not being used correctly.

Have you tried using the AF fine adjustment feature and testing your lens for front focus or back focus?

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

P.S. gotos are so last decade

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. But let me - unless it could not be fixed and tested by our service, when I sent the camera for repair of the AF? I checked - AF improved slightly, but certainly not become. I still prefer to sell the camera if Pentax refuses to replace my camera with correct. In addition, you do not know, as in Russia is service - very shallow and poorly. It is possible that after the repair I get a camera that works even worse, or, for example, a scratched. I can not be sure in the Russian service. And I still think that a large company could help the customer solve his problem ...
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the attitude of other brands that much better, though? At what cost? Look at the Canon and Nikon forums, they have as many complaint threads as Pentax, proportionally. They have better service for their big buyers, the pros that buy whole studios worth of their equipment, but not for just everyone. And they also avoid admitting to defects and problems and don't disclose all the fixes their firmware updates make.
Could Pentax improve in the way that you mention? Yes, certainly. Is it so far behind others? Meh

01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
In fact, the Pentax is no more defective products than other brands. Still, the K-5 was a camera that just a storehouse of problems. I wish I found out about it after the purchase, but here are some of them:
AF module with errors
Poor contact with the shutter button is half-pressed
Flapping mirror
The spots on the matrix
Refusal setup wheels
Dust under the back LCD cover glass
Lost lens release button (!)
Errors of Image Stabilizer
Back and front focus of the lens (I have to configure all but one!)
Stucking of the camera
Sticking the mirror and shutter failure
And that's just the problems, which they say on the forums in Russia. Here, I did not read - sorry, not too perfect to read in English.
I turned to the technical support in UK (I find it only on new Pentax Ricoh site), and I think on the basis of correspondence with the Pentax, they just sent me rude to hell.
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the service center here in Sweden, me and my brother have both been to them in person and they are quick, helpful and seems to do a thorough job. After reading about Nikon's consumer (not pro) service here in Sweden where they got a goal of 3-4 weeks for a repair I'm glad to have Pentax 3 working days goal! So yeah, it varies heavily between countries and even between different centers in the same brand.

K-5 is not good when it comes AF in low tungsten light or equal, this is the fact with any K-5. In other lighting conditions it's usually pretty precise. Maybe K-5 II, K-5 IIs or K-30 would have been better for you as they got the upgraded AF-module?
Your Olympys got the hybrid AF and contrast detection is a more precise technique the phase-detection so I'm not surprised that it is more consistent.

The hot pixel on the other hand sounds annoying, I guess that by "adjust" he meant to pixel map for video, something that weirdly isn't available for the user.
01-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
K-5 is not good when it comes AF in low tungsten light or equal, this is the fact with any K-5. In other lighting conditions it's usually pretty precise. Maybe K-5 II, K-5 IIs or K-30 would have been better for you as they got the upgraded AF-module?
I would like (which I wrote). But unfortunately, after the sale of its K-5, I can buy only half of the K-5 2, and K-30 absolutely does not interest for me for some reason. So I am not sure whether I need it ... After such a relationship, I think a hundred times about what will I have to change the flea? It is better to sell your entire Pentax system already and buy Olympus OM-D E-M5, although I prefer the SLR. But I already have a couple of lenses, and even gave two. And if Pentax says that lenses can keep me from selling, they are mistaken. That does not give them the right to send a buyer to hell.

But I would still like to hear an official response from Pentax (I hope they read at least this forum). So far I have not sold Pentax, in some ways I like it. But I do not want to have any problems with the unit in the future (for example, with the same fallen remove lens button).
01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
sorry to know that, I used to have similar experience with my K5 auto-focus, but not the "bright dot" during video shooting as you describe on your camera.
later I found this post which was very helpful. in particular, comment 20 was very helpful for me. I feel a lot more comfortable with K5 autofocus now. though it take around 10 thousand shorts with the same lens for me to learn my K5 auto-focus behavior. plus I learn to trust my bad eyesight more than camera's autofocus. If what I see in the viewfinder doesn't feel right, override it with manual focus will help me get the job done better and faster. Hopefully my unit isn't a defected one. It was the way I use the camera that need to be adjusted. I can not say the same about your camera.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 01-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.