Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tethered shooting and Capture One

Hi all
Being Danish I find it natural, that my prefered RAW converter is Capture One (Phase One), which is or was originally a Danish company. Also it's excellent software. I'm currently running Capture One 7 Pro (64 bit version).
As I am currently experimenting with tethered shooting, using my K20DS, I have found that:
Pentax Remote assistant/Pentax Camera Utility doesn't work with Windows 7.
Capture One 7 Pro doesn't work with my old 32 bit Windows XP computers.
So I must use PK Tether if I want to combine with developing in Capture One 7 Pro.
When installing the latest version of Capture One, I was asked to install a camera driver along with the RAW converter software. Having done just that, I discovered that PK Tether didn't work anymore. So I uninstalled the camera driver again.
I also discovered something else: When plugging in the camera (K20D) Capture One stated running automatically. Unfortunately I forgot to see if the capture part (camera menu) did actually work to some extend with my K20D...

I would love to try this out again.
Have anybody tried this.
Has anyone got this camera driver software? I unfortunately deleted it.
Phase One says there is no support for tethering with Pentax cameras, but it might just work to some exten anyway...
Does anyone know how to make Capture One auto develop images in a folder (i.e. the one I'm shooting into)?

Take a look at my screen shots:
PK Tether and Capture One - a set on Flickr

Regards
Jens

01-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sadly yes, the new C1 7 does not support 32-bit anymore... shifted temporarily to LR4 for developing images (since I can't use my copy of C1 6 for K-5 IIs RAWs either).

I miss the features of that program. As for the camera driver, try digging through the Pentax website - I think they still support software downloads for all their DSLRs from the *istD to the newest ones.

Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
06-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

it's such a pity

This is the answer I got yesterday from Phase One:

Hot folder function may help you but it only works if pentax have a camera software supporting remote shooting.You will typically need designated (capture) software provided by a camera manufacturer to capture images from third party cameras to Capture One using Hot folder functionality.

This means that there will be no decent solution if Pentax doesn't decide to support tethering

It is such a pity that, in the end, a customer will have to move away from his favorite brand (all Canikon cameras are supported) just because of a stupid piece of software (and no, PK tether or other beta software are no valid alternative)

I consider it as low hanging fruit. I can't understand why Pentax doesn't grab the opportunity
06-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There seems no reason why using the C1 7 'Hot Folder' functionality shouldn't work with PKTether, just as it does with Lightroom. All it is is a watched folder.

So just install PKTether, then set up PKTether to auto-download captured images into your C1 7 'hot folder' location and you should have a solution.

It isn't full tethering controlled natively by C1 7, so you still will have to use PKTether to drive the camera controls, but it can still be a useful way of getting your shots directly into a C1 editing session.

EDIT: here are some instructions that seem to show you how to do so. (Substitute 'PKTether' for 'your camera's proprietary software'):

http://www.phaseone.com/search/article.aspx?articleid=2269&languageid=1

Last edited by rawr; 06-04-2013 at 05:27 AM.
05-17-2014, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
I have been using the tethering options with Pentax Flucard for product photography lately. It actually works quite well. The viewfinder screen isn't the prettiest one I've seen (it just at Google Chorme browser page). But for simple shooting it's OK. I can see if everything is in the right place, and I can sit comfortably in a chair while shooting. I found it easier to trigger the shutter using a remote, which actually works even when I,m controling the camera by the Pentax Flucard/Google Chrome.
Please see this image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bladt/13586601663/

Regards
Jens