Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

k200d monitor

Hi I have a K200D which I have been using for a few years now. I took my camera out today to use it(last used at new years) and I cannot use the moniter at the back of the camera as a view finder as it is black. I can take pictures so I do not believe that it is a mirror issue(as has been mentioned in this forum) does anyone have any idea as to how to turn this monitor back on? I do not think that I pushed any wrong buttons but I am not certain. Can anyone give me any pointers. I cannot seem to find a solution in either of the manuals that I have.
thank you in advance for your help.

01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by empey Quote
Hi I have a K200D which I have been using for a few years now. I took my camera out today to use it(last used at new years) and I cannot use the moniter at the back of the camera as a view finder as it is black. I can take pictures so I do not believe that it is a mirror issue(as has been mentioned in this forum) does anyone have any idea as to how to turn this monitor back on? I do not think that I pushed any wrong buttons but I am not certain. Can anyone give me any pointers. I cannot seem to find a solution in either of the manuals that I have.
thank you in advance for your help.
The K200D does not have live view, if that's what you're getting at. Does the menu system and playback work at all?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
it did before

I have always looked through the "window" on the back of the camera to take a picture(I do not like using the viewfinder eyepiece) . I have been able to do this for the past 2 or 3 years. And I am no longer able to do so? so if you can help me get this feature turned back on, I would appreciate it. yes playback works I am able to look at images that I take.
01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The K200D does not support it, there is nothing to enable, it just isn't there. You must be remembering a different camera.

01-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

If the K200D is anything like my Kx, the Info button on the back lets you cycle through an Info page, and to also turn off the screen in order to save the battery. The Kx always reverts to having the screen come on to the main info page when I turn it back on though. Maybe the K200D "remembers" that you turned the screen off before shutting down the camera.
01-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The K200D does not support it, there is nothing to enable, it just isn't there. You must be remembering a different camera.
Elliot I used it two weeks ago and looked through the screen on the back of the camera to "see" what Iwas shooting.
01-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Then you don't have a K200D and maybe have a K20D, because that was the first Pentax model to have live view. Early DSLRs did not have live view due to the limitations of the CCD sensors, they would overheat, the 10mp sensor in the K200D is a CCD.

01-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
the manual has k200d on the cover and it looks like the camera tht i have.
01-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the manual has k200d on the cover and it looks like the camera tht i have.

What does it say on the camera? I have a K200D, and it does not have live view. You must have a K20D. You possibly have the wrong manual.
01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
seriously, it says K200 on the body of the camera and trust me up until new years day(which is the last time that I used it before last weekend) It DID have "live view" I cannot explain why it had it, but it did and now it does not. I am thinking that I must have turned something off because I honestly did have the ability to look at the big moniter on the back of the camera and see what was on the other side of the camera. I have not ever used the eyepiece view finder and have been using this camera for quite some time. I am perplexed because I keep hearing that I could not have this on my camera.
is there more than one version of this camera???????????????
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

As far as I know there is only one version. I would love to see a picture of your camera. If there is a hidden menu somewhere that gives it live view, I would like to know about and activate it on mine. How long have you had it, and did you buy it new?
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
purchased new has a big screen on the back (which is what I was able to look at to "frame" my pictures) I am so confused right now.
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is a K200, no live view.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61300-pentax-k200d.html

You must have used a K20 at one time and confusing the two.
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
This is a K200, no live view.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61300-pentax-k200d.html

You must have used a K20 at one time and confusing the two.
Been shooting a K200D since July of 2008. No live view on mine. You sure your not mistaken the D in K20D for a 0? It should say either K200D or K20D.
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

purchased new has a big screen on the back (which is what I was able to look at to "frame" my pictures) I am so confused right now.
Hummm, could you give me some

Well just kidding. You are confused and there is no shame in it. Heck sometimes I forget why I walked into a room. I come home from the store with everything but what I went for. Its very human.

You don't need us. The K200D does not have any form of live-view. It can only take a pic and with the shutter ring by turning it past "on" for a preview (if set in the menu) or a OVF DOF view. Or take a pic with the shutter button and show it to you. But no moving live-view.

You can take it from there.