Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

KD100 Super and extension tubes

I saw an article in a photography mag using extension tubes to get macro photography. I am using my standard lens (pentax 18-55) and extension tubes I got off of the internet (this is what the box says 1000 4707, R04B06, 10k). I went into the settings and changed it under the custom settings to allow for this using aperture ring permitted. The camera seems to be taking a photo except for no picture comes through. I have a macro very nice macro lens already but I would like to try this. Can you help. What am I doing wrong.

01-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm guessing the tubes have no aperture control at all, so your aperture is staying at its minimum value with that particular lens and is severely underexposed. The 18-55mm has no aperture ring, so you can't set the aperture properly. You'd be much better off getting an older manual prime, like a 50mm, to use on extension tubes.
01-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not you. The 18-55 lens is a DA lens, and the DA series uses the camera to control the lens aperture, getting information from the lens with electrical contacts on the mount. The extension tubes don't have those contacts. That makes the lens think it should let in almost no light, not enough to take a decent photo anyway.

You have a few options. Tubes are available with contacts that pass through the information, but cost a lot for what is really just a tube, and are rare. You can make your own by using used teleconverters with contacts by removing the glass, cheaper but still costly. You can wedge the DA 18-55 aperture lever in place at a medium setting temporarily and use it that way. If the tubes you have can move the aperture lever themselves, you can use another lens if it has an aperture ring, maybe your macro lens or buy a cheap Pentax-M 50mm f2.0.
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I'm guessing the tubes have no aperture control at all, so your aperture is staying at its minimum value with that particular lens and is severely underexposed. The 18-55mm has no aperture ring, so you can't set the aperture properly. You'd be much better off getting an older manual prime, like a 50mm, to use on extension tubes.
Thank you very much. I've been reading everything and never got this info.

01-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's not you. The 18-55 lens is a DA lens, and the DA series uses the camera to control the lens aperture, getting information from the lens with electrical contacts on the mount. The extension tubes don't have those contacts. That makes the lens think it should let in almost no light, not enough to take a decent photo anyway.

You have a few options. Tubes are available with contacts that pass through the information, but cost a lot for what is really just a tube, and are rare. You can make your own by using used teleconverters with contacts by removing the glass, cheaper but still costly. You can wedge the DA 18-55 aperture lever in place at a medium setting temporarily and use it that way. If the tubes you have can move the aperture lever themselves, you can use another lens if it has an aperture ring, maybe your macro lens or buy a cheap Pentax-M 50mm f2.0.
Thanks Dave. I am so glad I found this website.
01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Or ... if you feel adventurous, you could get some tape and move the aperture lever wide open then tape it down.
That will save you from buying another lens.

Or, use your macro lens + extension tubes if you have an aperture control on it.