Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Pentax K-x False message "No card in camera"

Pentax K-x

I am receiving the false message "No card in camera" with my Pentax K-x False message "No card in camera" trying two cards I used yesterday.

1 both the cards are not locked

2. both the cards are empty

3. both the cards are readable by my notebook

4. I am putting them in correctly and the door closes

5. I have the latest firmware downloaded and it has worked since installation.

What could be the problem? It is very puzzling.

regards

Warren Edwardes

01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Blow in the card slot and then try reinserting them. You may also pop the batteries out and then put them back in.
01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you try Scotty's suggestions and they don't work - have you tried formatting them in the camera? If it says no card detected it may not do the format but I had one where it said that and it would format the card. It's worth looking at if all else fails.

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wedwardes Quote
Pentax K-x

I am receiving the false message "No card in camera" with my Pentax K-x False message "No card in camera" trying two cards I used yesterday.

1 both the cards are not locked

2. both the cards are empty

3. both the cards are readable by my notebook

4. I am putting them in correctly and the door closes

5. I have the latest firmware downloaded and it has worked since installation.

What could be the problem? It is very puzzling.

regards

Warren Edwardes
It could also be that there's something wrong with your card's casing: when one of my cards was about to break my laptop could read it, but my camera could not.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New cards or old??
What size?
Newest firmware?

I ask because my K-x was having trouble reading cards bigger than 4gb until I updated the firmware. Sometimes it wouldn't work with cards it had worked before. Very frustrating. After installing new firmware, no card problems.
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all your help. Not looking good I am afraid.

Both cards work in my notebook. Tried that again.

Tried blowing into the slot and tapping the camera to shake anything loose. No difference. Cards not recognised.

Tried new batteries. No difference. Cards not recognised.

Reset to factory option. Cards not recognised.

The camera does not recognize the cards so the format option is greyed out and does not work.

I have found a third but old card that works in my notebook. Currently formatting it. I will do the same for the other two cards and try again. I will also buy a new SD card and try it.

Oh firmware V1.03

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html

Last edited by wedwardes; 01-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
OK we have a landing!

The third card an old 2 GB card works.

I deleted the content on the notebook. Then formatted it in the notebook. The camera recognised it and allowed me to format it in the camera.

It works.

Now formatting the other two (4 GB) disks in the notebook and then seeing if the camera accepts them.

I was thinking about getting a larger disk but from what is said here maybe prudent to sick to 4 GB.

The main thing is the camera is working. SD cards are cheap enough to replace.

Still puzzling as to what happened to both my 4 GB disks at the same time. They were working on Monday and are still working in my notebook.

Last edited by wedwardes; 01-23-2013 at 04:30 AM.
01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Your firmware will allow larger cards no problem. I used to use 16gb cards in my Kx when I had it.
01-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Your firmware will allow larger cards no problem. I used to use 16gb cards in my Kx when I had it.
Ditto. Glad you got it working. You're right, cards are cheap. I'd ditch those 2 cards.
01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
The two miscreant 4 GB SD cards were not recognised by the camera even after formatting in the notebook. Saved for use as external disks.

I remember that my first notebook computer purchased 21 years ago had a hard disk of 20 MB (yes MB not GB)

I'll buy a pair of 8 GB SD cards.

Very strange that both my 4 MB SD cards stopped working at the same time and lucky for me I had another 2 GB SD card.

Thanks all for the suggestions and encouragement. I was going a bit crazy as the camera is out of warranty.

How do people transfer images to a PC?

Via a cable attached to the camera or by removing the disk and inserting into the computer. I think constant removal from and inserting into camera and then notebook and the camera damaged the cards - but safer and cheaper than damaging the camera perhaps with constant insertion and removal of the cable.

Last edited by wedwardes; 01-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I connect them to the computer through a card reader. It's much faster, and if you damage a card it's not a big loss other than the pics on the card.
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say the cards were/are defective. I have cards ranging from 2 GB to 32 GB and all work well in my K-x. I transfer my photos from the card by the card reader in my computer, both desk top and laptop, and have had no problems with any card. A few of my cards I also used in my ist DL without problem.
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
Strange that the two old "defective" 4 GB SD Cards are still functioning on my notebook but not in my camera. I am using them as USD drives having bought two card readers for GBP 1 = USD 1.6 each

Here's hoping that the new 8 GB cards ordered via ebay work in the K-x camera.
01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had the opposite problem - a card that worked in the camera would not work on my PC or laptop. This may be completely unrelated to your problem, but one of the tiny plastic ridges between the contacts on the card had cracked and was ever so slightly bent over. On the PC card reader, it would interfere with the connection. Why it didn't interfere on the camera, I don't know - different size or shape of the contacts in the reader, I guess. I removed the offending sliver of plastic and the card has worked fine ever since.
01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Use an SD card reader cleaner. It is possible one or more contacts in your camera are cruded up. If you can't find or order one readily, cut a business card to SD card width, but much longer. Soak it with anhydrous isopropal alcohol (but not dripping) and carefully slide it in and out of the port so it rubs lightly on the card contacts.

Also, count the contacts on your SD card and use a small flashlight to look into the camera's reader to make sure all the matching contacts are in place.