Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

K-5 IIs Screech Noise

I have had my K-5 IIs for about a month now. I have taken less than 100 photos with it to date. Just noticed today, when I turn the camera on, and the led in the lower right flashes, I get a slight screeching noise. The noise does not change as I have tried to turn it on and off multiple times. I have done this with no lens, removed SD, battery change, etc. Noise is still there. Almost sounds like a disk crash from a hard drive. Any thoughts?

01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the shake reduction most likely.

What do you mean with the led on the lower right?
There is one led light as far as i know and that is on the front and is a green one used to help with focusing.
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matrishwa Quote
I have had my K-5 IIs for about a month now. I have taken less than 100 photos with it to date. Just noticed today, when I turn the camera on, and the led in the lower right flashes, I get a slight screeching noise. The noise does not change as I have tried to turn it on and off multiple times. I have done this with no lens, removed SD, battery change, etc. Noise is still there. Almost sounds like a disk crash from a hard drive. Any thoughts?
Can you post a video clip of this behavior? If could be that something is wrong with the dust removal system (which is normally barely audible).

Try disabling start-up DR and see if the problem persists.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
I turned off the start-up DR and that fixed the problem, temporarily. The noise is very audible from a distance. I don't have a video clip, but this seems to be the problem. I guess I should call Pentax tomorrow and use the warranty. My K-5 does not make this noise.

01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matrishwa Quote
Hi Matrishwa

I've just bought a K-5 IIs last month as well, I know the exact noise your talking about. At first I was a little worried but after using the dust removal setting on the camera(which makes the same noise BTW), I think it has something to do with the Shake Reduction. I wouldn't take it back, although its audible it shouldn't be very loud. At first I panicked a bit being new and all, but I think it's normal.

IDK how loud yours might be so it may have a defect, just telling you of my expirence with the camera.
01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
It is the dust removal as I used the removal and the exact same sound came out. Although it is not too loud, in a very quiet church someone in front can hear me turn my camera on from the back. Thanks for the replies!
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nope that isnt normal

I can hear it in a very quite room, it's a sound like you're shaking a bottle of suger.

01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Nope that isnt normal

I can hear it in a very quite room, it's a sound like you're shaking a bottle of suger.
Not mine. Although faint, it sounds like a nail etching glass. My original K-5 doesn't do this.
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I can't hear mine no matter how quiet the room, the K-5 is ultrasonic, the lower end bodies use the old noisy system.
01-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I can't hear mine no matter how quiet the room, the K-5 is ultrasonic, the lower end bodies use the old noisy system.
I have no issues with the K-5. Surprised that the new K-5 IIs has this problem.
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dust removal feature
My K10d makes a little wobble that you feel - sounds like "bb-bbriiibb-bt.
My K7 which is the same as the K5 in this regard goes "eeeeeep" - you can certainly hear it- but I guess as you get older or go to too many rock concerts, you won't hear it anymore! If you're planning on shooting in churches or libraries, you could just turn off start up dust reduction, but I can't imagine anyone would object to the sound as it's quite brief. The zoom on my flash can be a real attention grabber however, in quiet situations it sounds like a winch being operated!

K7's dust reduction actually works too. K10d needed cleaning once a week, at least.
01-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Dust removal feature
My K10d makes a little wobble that you feel - sounds like "bb-bbriiibb-bt.
My K7 which is the same as the K5 in this regard goes "eeeeeep" - you can certainly hear it- but I guess as you get older or go to too many rock concerts, you won't hear it anymore! If you're planning on shooting in churches or libraries, you could just turn off start up dust reduction, but I can't imagine anyone would object to the sound as it's quite brief. The zoom on my flash can be a real attention grabber however, in quiet situations it sounds like a winch being operated!

K7's dust reduction actually works too. K10d needed cleaning once a week, at least.
Gave me a good laugh. My winch, er, I mean flash is noisy as well.

I suppose your right keeping dust reduction off. Just would have liked to not have this disturbance in the first place, being a new camera and all. Perhaps I am a little OCD about this.
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
HSV
Veteran Member

The K-5's dust reduction thing is more like a "dust prevention" feature...I've never ever had to clean the sensor of my K-5. I had to clean my K20d like once every two weeks, and my D200, every 3 days.

One of the funny things about the ultrasonic dust reduction of the K-5 is that it's sound depends on the lens...I guess it has to do with mechanical resonance frequencies or something like that. For example, with the 18-250 sounds horrible , with the Tamron 90 is barely audible and very discrete.

Has anybody noticed something similar?
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #14

Original Poster
UPDATE

I called B&H Photo to see if they would like me to return the camera to them, as most retailers (not all) I deal with want the item to be returned to them and they take care of the returns/warranty issues. They said no, sent it to the Pentax Warranty Repair Center.

I sent off my camera to CRIS. The response/repair was "SENSOR CLEANING FUNCTION NOISE IS HIGH FREQUENCY SOUND WAVES. IN SOME UNITS IT CAN BE HEARD. THIS IN NORMAL." So, to anyone else who encounters this noise with the DRII system, not to worry.

With that said, I still feel uncomfortable about the noise and solution (do nothing) and would have liked to receive a replacement camera without the noise. Especially since it did not do this when I first purchased the camera. If some units are making noise and others do not, typically that would indicate a problem, to me. I guess we'll see if this issue shortens the life of the camera.

Disappointed that Pentax Corporate nor B&H Photo did not offer a replacement unit. So much for customer satisfaction, as I am unsatisfied. Maybe next time Canon, Nikon, Amazon, Costco...
02-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the start up of a K-5 you can hear two things, the high pitched dust reduction and the aperture lever engaging. None of these things indicate any problem. I see why they don't want to just send out a new one as it's most likely just normal.

Where do you live? Maybe another forum member can check it out.