Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mold problem with DA 60-250

Today I was looking at my DA 60-250 lens and noticed some spots inside the lens. Upon further inspection with a flashlight it looks like there is an even bigger spot on an element in middle of the lens. I am super worried. I have hardly used this lens and I am about to go on a big vacation. I don't make a lot of money and this lens cost me about as much as I could afford in photography.

I am currently living in Taiwan to make things more difficult. I am guessing I will have to send this in which will probably cost a fortune to fix. I am not even sure if it is worth taking it on my trip. I used it the other day... I will have to go back and inspect the photos closely and see how much it is noticeable.

Any advice?

01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's probably not going to affect your photos, but I would definitely have them clean the lens for you. Probably won't cost as much as a new one, and the warranty might even cover it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have a 35 yr. old 55/2 Tak that came with my SP1000. It has a bit of fungus on the inside as it got wet many a time on camping trips, motorcycle trips, etc. It has no effect on any photos except when shooting into the sun at certain angles which produces some odd looking flare. Still, a DA* lens shouldn't get fungus if it has been properly cared for and I would follow Adam's advice try to get it cleaned and try for some warranty repair.
01-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When searching for "Taiwan Lens Fungus" on Google most posts talk about a drybox being mandatory there so I don't blame the lens.

01-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

I have to agree with VisualDarkness. I have found that in some climates lens fungus is a constant problem with all optical equipment. I lived in East Africa for a few years and a dry box was essential in keeping cameras and lenses in good condition. Basically they control the amount of humidity getting to the lenses, making it difficult for fungus to grow. If you live in a warm wet climate fungus has the ideal environment to destroy your camera equipment.
I know this is not going to solve the problem with your lens, but one of these cabinets could well be worth the money for you, as they are considerably cheaper then having to replace expensive DA* lenses.
01-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quick question about something posted here. Why wouldn't a DA lens be as susceptible as any other lens? Just wondering. Are digital lenses in general tougher that way somehow?
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Quick question about something posted here. Why wouldn't a DA lens be as susceptible as any other lens? Just wondering. Are digital lenses in general tougher that way somehow?
Fungus is generally something that happens when moisture gets into a lens. DA* lenses are WR as are some DAs, so one might suspect they'd be immune to fungus. Apparently water in vapour form has the ability to penetrate the seals. SO if you're in a really humid climates, the suggested dry box is essential.
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fungus is generally something that happens when moisture gets into a lens. DA* lenses are WR as are some DAs, so one might suspect they'd be immune to fungus. Apparently water in vapour form has the ability to penetrate the seals. SO if you're in a really humid climates, the suggested dry box is essential.
Yeah, if air can penetrate your camera system humidity will follow in most cases. The only way to work with humidity is to make it dry at times to destroy the conditions for fungus.

03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yeah, if air can penetrate your camera system humidity will follow in most cases. The only way to work with humidity is to make it dry at times to destroy the conditions for fungus.
I bought a dry box. Now that I am back from vacation I will look into getting it fixed. It still works although it seems as though this lens isn't always so sharp. i am not sure if the fungus effects this or if it is just the lens.