Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

DA35 sharpness issue (with K-X)

I recently took some pictures with DA35 2.4 and found some problem. The pictures are usually blur. not sure if the pictures are out of focus or there is a problem with the lens. I attached two pictures below (with crop). Both were taken with f/4.0 iso 100, center focus, but had big difference on sharpness. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The soft one (the first one) is simply out of focus. You can see up in the top right corner that the focus landed beyond the intended subject. The buildings in the back are in focus. Its not a softness issue -- its a focus issue. Probably not a camera issue either, but a user issue.
01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could also use the 2sec timer and stop down more (bigger f-number) to widen DoF. You just have to learn to use the camera/lens combo. I find this lens to be tricky at (near) infinity.
You can also print out an AF chart and use a tripod to test your AF to see if its maybe front- or back-focusing. Do that in good light. But I think the lens is good, just a little more experience
01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Loved my K-x but, the K-x does not have a visual focus confirmation indicator. So, the first one is out of focus and the second is in focus. It's not a lens problem. It appears to be a focus issue on what the camera selected as the focal point.

01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe just an AF-misfire but if it happens often you should test the camera/lens combination for back focus with a focus chart. There is a guy on the Dutch forum, who has the same problem. (also on a k-x). This lens may not have a happy marriage with the camera. Sometimes focus is right, but a lot of back focus. I had to calibrate it on my k10d as well (and the k-5 but much less). Maybe you should set the af to the center focus point when you shoot with this lens. Then you are sure at which point the camera tried to focus. You can work from there.
01-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for all the reply. The reason that I doubt the lens is because it happens too often on this DA35mm lens but not on other lenses. I always use center focus for the target and then composite the photo so. For the two pictures I posted, the crop sections are the spots where I focused so both of them should be sharp. Maybe it would be better to use MF for this lens.
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with previous, and the second one looks pretty good on my screen anyway.

Also, with plenty of light you could have used a higher f-stop to get more dof if you wanted too.

Did you get any other shots that didn't contain that hideous yellow Toyota 4WD . That thing is going to be a bugger to clone out in pp.

01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Did you get any other shots that didn't contain that hideous yellow Toyota 4WD . That thing is going to be a bugger to clone out in pp.
lol just desaturate the yellows
Or make photo bw.
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
LOL. I see it the other way - boring gray car, boring white car, boring gray car.... YELLOW! ... boring gray car, boring gray car, boring white car...
01-25-2013, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
LOL. I see it the other way - boring gray car, boring white car, boring gray car.... YELLOW! ... boring gray car, boring gray car, boring white car...

Hmmmm.... yes I suppose you would.....

Lookey likey ?