Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My new tripod/head combo

Just posted a review for my new tripod and one for the head. Yesterday I went to Precision Camera here in Austin to look at tripods. I had been looking at a Vanguard on B & H's site, and wanted to see if they stocked it. They didn't, but proceeded to show me several others that had the features I wanted. I picked up the Manfrotto 190X PROB tripod, and the Manfrotto Model 222 Joystick ball head. I'm in love. The stability, ease of use, and the absolutely infinite adjustability of both the tripod and head make this a killer choice. You just squeeze the handle, move the camera where you want it and let go. It STAYS PUT. It's steady. It doesn't drift or crawl or slowly droop under the weight of the camera, which one of my previous cheapo tripods was prone to do. This is rock solid. The quality of these fine Italian-made pieces of equipment is amazing. The combination is just perfect for me. I think I was very lucky in picking these to pair up with my K-30. Tried to run through the features of these in the reviews I posted, but I was just wanting to show off the combo with my K-30 and ask if any of you folks have this combo and how you like it. Didn't really see a specific sub-forum to talk about gear purchases like this, so I hope it's OK for me to put this here. And a PS for any of you Pentaxians who are here in the Austin, Tx area: Precision Camera is moving to a new location on Anderson Lane in March of this year, and once they are in their new location, they are becoming an authorized Pentax Dealer! Yes! FInally! We will have a local store that will stock Pentax cameras and lenses. The woman I spoke with who showed me the tripods said that they will definitely be stocking all the lenses and to make sure I visit their new location to check out their Pentax section. WooHOO!

Attached Images

01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations, very nice combination.
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Very nice! I have a Vanguard Alta that does the "boom" thing. Very handy!
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you'll be very happy with it.

I've owned an older version of the squeeze grip ball head for 10 years or so (I have it configured with the grip off to the right side). Just upgraded from cheap gear to a set of Manfrotto 055 legs last weekend.

01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, y'all...I know I'm gonna really enjoy this setup. I have this thing about GREAT DESIGN in products. I love it when something just works so simply and efficiently that it seems to disappear (in a sense) in the process of using it. This setup seems to be like that. It's basically "transparent" that way. You forget it's there, doing its job, as it does its job so very well. I guess in the end this pairing ended up costing me $268 altogether, as opposed to the Vanguard Alta that I was looking at being $269. Had the saleswoman not given me the discounts, it would have been $298. Pretty sure I got a great deal! ;-)
01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice rig and lucky you to have a stocking Pentax dealer close by (soon).
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

I got the same tripod with a slightly different ballhead mount and I love it. This is my first tripod so I'm definitely spoiled, after owning one of these I can't imagine having anything less.
01-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I used the same manfrotto tripod with a slightly different head for a few years. The 190X PROB has had high ratings for years.

But it does get heavy and not so good if you want to carry something on a plane or walking around a lot. This is what happens: Good tripod = you start using a tripod regularly, it opens up so much more photo-ops = you like to have one handy all the time. For those there are some lightweight carbon fiber tripods-chinese made but pretty good. The workmanship is not in the same class but the convenience makes up for it. Being able to carry a tripod and head on a carry-on while travelling is definitely worth it! I also have a cheap monopod from best buy that I pair with a manfrotto head for shooting things like events, parades etc. Definitely helps when I am out and about with my favorite lens: pentax 50-135.

I have kept the manfrotto though for places where there is not much walking involved.

In any case, have fun with your purchase.

01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've seen that tripod head and wondered if it held where set. From your review I'd say yes. Looks like you have a great rig. I love the leg set you have and I figured it's all I need. Maybe this will be my next set-up. Enjoy.
01-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
That looks Beautiful!
01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Congratulations on your rig, looks like a great ballhead. And I envy you to have a store nearby that carries Pentax lenses, hopefully they won't be price gougers.
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments. I hadn't really thought about how heavy the combo is to carry. I might try to find something lighter as far as the tripod for when I am doing my road trip to the mountains, but man-o-man, I'm takin' this head for sure. It's just amazing.

And I am definitely hoping that Precision Camera will be a "good" dealer and not a "list price or higher" dealer. Guess I'll have to wait until March to find that out! But I am going back there before they move, to check out some more filters and see if they stock the right battery for my K-1000...I wanna drag that baby out of the mothballs and give it some fresh air, too!