Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Problems with my K-30

I just got my K30 for about 2 weeks. Havenīt tried all the functions yet because of a matter of time. Yesterday I was taking pictures at night in AUTO mode using the built in flash and the 18-55 lens in 55mm and the shutter speed was always at 0.8".
When I used the Live View option it will change at 40 and focusing at the same object. It wasnīt as dark to take the picture at 0.8"... it was a brightly lit room. I checked the flash (cause it felt like it was on slow trailing curtain (but that option is not available on the AUTO mode)).. so everything was OK for me. To double check I reset to factory settings but the problem persisted.

Another thing is that, when in Manual mode, after I change my AV and TV if I take a picture and have to change speed or f the dials again it wonīt let me. Either I have to turn off and on the camera or watch the previous picture and then press the shutter button halfway to be able to change the speed and f. In my K10 d it was as easy as just using the dials... but I feel frustrated with this camera... although I like it.

Is it that I need to read the manual?? or thereīs some problem with the camera?

Thanks.

**sorry for the English... I speak Spanish

01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Cynthia,

I was just about to post with the exact same question. Took the plunge (today I am a Pentaxian!) and am not the proud owner of a new K30. Since I've been playing with it indoors on winter evenings, I've used the built-in flash a lot. Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes the shutter stays open long after the flash fires. Some pictures of my dog would be lovely if the shutter didn't stay open for an extra second after the flash, letting the dog's movement blur the image. I've been assuming I've accidentally messed with some setting or other, but I've been reading the manual, and can't find anything.

Since I found your post, I tried to see if I had your other problem. But when I take a manually exposed shot, it lets me re-adjust the settings immediately afterwards pretty much as I would expect it to.

Anyone know what might be causing either of these?

Edit: I notice I seem to only get the flash problem in Auto mode. In Program mode there doesn't seem to be any problem. Reviewing the shots, it looks like some sort of issue with the ISO settings - one shot is at low ISO, and another at high.

But this many flash photos, and it's time to charge the battery. That and the dog needs to go outside

Cheers
BLZ bob

Last edited by blzbob; 01-25-2013 at 06:22 PM.
01-25-2013, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cynthiaspiers Quote
I just got my K30 for about 2 weeks. Havenīt tried all the functions yet because of a matter of time. Yesterday I was taking pictures at night in AUTO mode using the built in flash and the 18-55 lens in 55mm and the shutter speed was always at 0.8".
When I used the Live View option it will change at 40 and focusing at the same object. It wasnīt as dark to take the picture at 0.8"... it was a brightly lit room. I checked the flash (cause it felt like it was on slow trailing curtain (but that option is not available on the AUTO mode)).. so everything was OK for me. To double check I reset to factory settings but the problem persisted.

Another thing is that, when in Manual mode, after I change my AV and TV if I take a picture and have to change speed or f the dials again it wonīt let me. Either I have to turn off and on the camera or watch the previous picture and then press the shutter button halfway to be able to change the speed and f. In my K10 d it was as easy as just using the dials... but I feel frustrated with this camera... although I like it.
AUTO mode certainly is not like the green mode was in the K20D, that used the program line, this does not. When you use AUTO mode the camera is making the decisions on what it thinks it sees and will use one of nine modes. Most likely it was using the Night Portrait mode That mode uses a slow shutter speed and slow speed sync on the flash to try to get a correct exposure on the subject and the background. You can check what mode AUTO used by reviewing the photo on the camera, pressing the info button and selecting "Detailed information display". That will show you a little icon for the mode which are listed in the manual on page 81. If you want to use preset modes, the Scene modes will let you select the mode.

For you second paragraph, what is Instant Review set at on your menu? Sounds like it may be set to 5 seconds. You cannot change the dials while instant review is on unless you cancel it by pressing the shutter button half way. I have instant review turned off since I can push play and see the pic if I need to.

You can download the manual from the Pentax website and have a searchable menu on your computer. It's pretty helpful because so many settings can affect other settings. Hopefully you just have a couple of settings off and not a problem, good luck.
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
So I am not the only one...
According to ramseybuckeye itīs the normal way of operating in the AUTO mode?? (am I right?) but if the flash is "supplying" the lack of light then is that necessary for the shutter to be so slow... ?? then I donīt find the auto mode useful... or I have to get use to it... I mean I could easily think of another option quickly by changing to P and changing the shutter speed before my sister could blow off the candles of her cake but thats because I have a bit of knowledge about photography, but if anyone who doesnīt then itīll be quite difficult to shot not before going to read the manual...
And yes, in INFO you can see that almost all of the pictures are in night mode. My instant review is in 1 sec. I opted for turning off the status screen but the problem continues (sometimes).
I shot the same object with my K10 in green mode and it works beautifully...

01-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I opted for turning off the status screen ...
Mind telling me how you did that? You, obviously, read the manual more carefully than I did. I couldn't find how to turn it off.
01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Mind telling me how you did that? You, obviously, read the manual more carefully than I did. I couldn't find how to turn it off.
Hello gjtoth, I was taking pictures of the moon a couple of days ago but the light of the screen was so bright that I couldnīt focus manually...! besides, I think the battery can run fast with the light on. So the next day I started searching for a solution and somehow I got to the status screen menu and OOOHH!!!!!! surprise!! I could turn it off
Just press the INFO button twice and pick the screen you want.
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hello gjtoth, I was taking pictures of the moon a couple of days ago but the light of the screen was so bright that I couldnīt focus manually...! besides, I think the battery can run fast with the light on. So the next day I started searching for a solution and somehow I got to the status screen menu and OOOHH!!!!!! surprise!! I could turn it off
Just press the INFO button twice and pick the screen you want.
OH, FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD! It was too simple!! I was looking for something that said DISPLAY ON or OFF, not a stinkin' PICTURE I'm not that stupid... HONEST!

01-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
To you owners of the K30 what do you see on the screen when you turn the dial on M (manual)?? Cause in my camera I see TAv (???) is that correct?? or is it that Iīve found another defect?? I canīt get it to work properly... SOS!

**As you can see it is set to M but it shows another setting on the screen...
Attached Images

Last edited by cynthiaspiers; 01-27-2013 at 06:43 PM.
01-28-2013, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe you have auto-ISO on in M-node?
If you do, try with manual ISO.
01-28-2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Most likely it was using the Night Portrait mode That mode uses a slow shutter speed and slow speed sync on the flash to try to get a correct exposure on the subject and the background. You can check what mode AUTO used by reviewing the photo on the camera, pressing the info button and selecting "Detailed information display" .

Thanks Ramsey. You called it on the night mode in Auto. Not a mode I'm familiar with, since I usually didn't play with the scene modes too much on my old point-n-shoot.

I hadn't experienced Cynthia's other issues, but Fogel is right about Auto-Iso in M mode - I get exactly what cynthia shows, and it goes away when I switch.

It's definitely going to take a little time to get used to all the settings with this camera. There was nothing like this on my old Minolta

Thanks guys.
BLZ Bob
01-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #11

So I am not the only one...
According to ramseybuckeye itīs the normal way of operating in the AUTO mode?? (am I right?) but if the flash is "supplying" the lack of light then is that necessary for the shutter to be so slow... ?? then I donīt find the auto mode useful... or I have to get use to it... I mean I could easily think of another option quickly by changing to P and changing the shutter speed before my sister could blow off the candles of her cake but thats because I have a bit of knowledge about photography, but if anyone who doesnīt then itīll be quite difficult to shot not before going to read the manual...
And yes, in INFO you can see that almost all of the pictures are in night mode. My instant review is in 1 sec. I opted for turning off the status screen but the problem continues (sometimes).
I shot the same object with my K10 in green mode and it works beautifully...
If it is night scene portrait mode then the flash will supply to light up the foreground but the shutter speed will remain slow to correctly expose the background. Think that is right, never used it.
01-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Maybe you have auto-ISO on in M-node?
If you do, try with manual ISO.
It worked!! I see the M now... I usually donīt read the manual of my cameras but I have reached a level on which I feel like I am a newby... :/
01-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blzbob Quote
Thanks Ramsey. You called it on the night mode in Auto. Not a mode I'm familiar with, since I usually didn't play with the scene modes too much on my old point-n-shoot.
I hadn't experienced Cynthia's other issues, but Fogel is right about Auto-Iso in M mode - I get exactly what cynthia shows, and it goes away when I switch.
It's definitely going to take a little time to get used to all the settings with this camera. There was nothing like this on my old Minolta
Thanks guys.
BLZ Bob
Mark this down because I'm not right very often. I've not used the auto mode but I've read about it in the manual. I tend to shott a lot with certain types of setting and sometimes have to look it up if I do something different.
It worked!! I see the M now... I usually donīt read the manual of my cameras but I have reached a level on which I feel like I am a newby... :/
Don't feel bad, I came from a K20D and this camera is light years more advanced. By the way, that's a great color combination of camera and fingernails.
01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Mark this down because I'm not right very often. I've not used the auto mode but I've read about it in the manual. I tend to shott a lot with certain types of setting and sometimes have to look it up if I do something different.

Don't feel bad, I came from a K20D and this camera is light years more advanced. By the way, that's a great color combination of camera and fingernails.
Thatīs good to know.. then I donīt feel that dumb... hehe...

QuoteQuote:
By the way, that's a great color combination of camera and fingernails.
I know!!!!
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #15

Check your ISO

Check your ISO when shooting in low light. On the K30 you can set the max ISO the camera uses. This works even in Auto. So if your max ISO is set low the camera will choose a very slow shutter speed. Just press the ISO button on the 4-way. The speed shown is the lower box is the max the camera will use. If it is set low it will force the camera to use very low shutter speeds.

I use the SCN setting and choose the appropriate setting. Took great photos of the moon through a 36x telescope with the light meter set on 5 points and scene set for night. I almost never use auto. If you're mainly using auto sell the camera and buy a point and shoot.

As for the wrong screen when you set the camera on manual. 1.) That screen should disappear in about 2-3 seconds. 2.) It should read that you are set in manual then default to another screen. Looks like it might be defective.