Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Any special mounting hardware needed?

I am pretty new at this...just purchased a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom Lens for Pentax for $63 on ebay. My question is, will this lens mount easily to a pentax k-5 without any special additional mounts? Seller stated it was a k-mount. Before I try to mount, just want some reassurance I am not going to break anything! Thanks

01-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter
Ari's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 794
If it's a k-mount, it will work with your k-5. Can you provide a link or images? It is pretty easy to identify the correct mount.
01-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Original Poster
Thanks Ari,

Vivitar Series 1 70 210mm F2 8 4 0 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom Lens for Pentax 019643162228 | eBay
01-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
Saxplayer1004's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Litchfield, ME
Posts: 166
will go straight on no problems. It's an A lens so can work in any mode.

Vivitar 70-210mm F2.8-4, version 3 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Ari
Site Supporter
Ari's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Freehold, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 794
Yep - you're good to go.
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Original Poster
Thanks!!!!!
01-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
will go straight on no problems. It's an A lens so can work in any mode.

Vivitar 70-210mm F2.8-4, version 3 Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Not sure I know what you mean it will work in any mode?? Do you mean I can set it to manual, Av, etc? Do I leave the lens set in it's "A" position (which means I set aperture with dial on camera)? Any other special settings I need to know or get familiar with this lens? Thanks for your help and input.
01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
Saxplayer1004's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Litchfield, ME
Posts: 166
you can shoot it in green mode if you want to. With non A lenses you are pretty restricted to M mode if you have to stop it down. It is typically easier to set it with the dial on the camera than the ring, and that way the camera knows what's going on with the aperture for metering etc.

01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
you can shoot it in green mode if you want to. With non A lenses you are pretty restricted to M mode if you have to stop it down. It is typically easier to set it with the dial on the camera than the ring, and that way the camera knows what's going on with the aperture for metering etc.
so to be safe I could shoot in aperture priority? Is there any metering I can do to set ISO or does the camera do it in Av? God , I really sound like an amateur...just want to know things before I do them so I do not damage the K-5. Thanks again!
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior Member
Saxplayer1004's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Litchfield, ME
Posts: 166
you're not going to damage the k5 unless you take that lens and shoot straight into the sun. In which case you'd be more concerned about hurting yourself.

You can shoot in whatever mode you want, the camera doesn't care. You can restrict the ISO modes in Auto iso, or set the iso manually if you want. SV allows you to control the iso and camera will pick the rest for you. Really wouldn't be worried about it though. You won't break anything by trying out different modes.
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 54
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
you're not going to damage the k5 unless you take that lens and shoot straight into the sun. In which case you'd be more concerned about hurting yourself.

You can shoot in whatever mode you want, the camera doesn't care. You can restrict the ISO modes in Auto iso, or set the iso manually if you want. SV allows you to control the iso and camera will pick the rest for you. Really wouldn't be worried about it though. You won't break anything by trying out different modes.
Thanks!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, pentax, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Needed) Mounting speed-ring to light-stand dstructor Photographic Technique 0 01-01-2013 04:56 PM
Any chance of a Xmas special deal? lightbulb Photographic Industry and Professionals 5 12-10-2012 09:43 PM
Hardware... At last... rashdown_online Pentax K-5 3 06-02-2012 09:14 AM
Just picked up a Pentax K-R, any special configurations? claimed4all Pentax K-r 2 09-20-2011 08:44 AM
Any special way to screw the M42 lenses? rdrum76 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 12-01-2007 04:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top