Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K30 Metering

Only had the K30 a week or so but I've noticed it tends to underexpose fairly often - sometimes in very unusual circumstances.
To be fair the sensor is so good they are recoverable but it is odd and so far I can't put my finger on why.

For example this shot below shouldn't have been a problem for multi pattern metering yet as you can see from the histogram there is a huge gap to the right.

Name:  Screen Shot.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  174.5 KB

There are a number of others, a mix of scenic views, seascapes and close-ups that show a similar tendency to err to the left. First time I've owned a Pentax since the days of film so I can't remember if this is usual.

03-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First off the histogram is not a way to look for "correct" exposure for your photo, highkey and lowkey photos for example give very different histograms.

Pentax mostly meter slightly darker, mine is set to actually overexpose slightly.
What happend in your photo most likely is that the white is throwing the camera off course.