Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

K200D not seeing SD cards.

Ok, been using these cameras right along and suddenly, today, I can not get either of my two regularly used K200's to acknowledge there is an SD card in them. Tried multiple cards. I then tried a card in my #3 K200D which I never use and it worked just fine. Are you kidding me??? The other 2 suddenly stopped working at the same time?
I think the batteries might be weak and I only have 1 set as I am out of extra batteries at the moment. Could weak or dead batteries be the cause? And if so, why did it work in the 3rd camera? A fluke?
Any help greatly appreciated!
John B.

Last edited by jbedard; 01-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.
01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the same problem with my k20, k7 and k5 - two cards simultaneously failing in more than one body. I have also had problems with card readers being able to read one card from both bodies, not being able to read one card from one body and even had one card unable to read one card on my MacBook but my Mac Pro can read it fine. SD cards are SOOOOOOOOO finicky. It is unbelievably annoying. My guess is it is a complete fluke. Return all of the cards and ignore the manufacturer's suggestions (which will be all nonsense; they'll tell you something is wrong with Pentax, something is wrong with you, your parents didn't show you enough affection when you were a child.....) most of them have lifetime warranties. I've returned 2 32gb class 10 cards to Lexar twice in the last two years and the second time they tried to give me bs reasons for failures but they took them back and replaced them.
01-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
but the same cards work in my laptop, and they worked in my 3rd K200D which I never use.
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Ari
Site Supporter

Yep - that happens, too. It's the sd cards.

01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
But multiple cards? I tried 2 different cards.
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Ari
Site Supporter

Yep. Multiple cards. It's happened to me, too.
01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Strange things can happen with SD cards.

You may also have a look at this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/212756-...rd-camera.html
01-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would copy the files from the "faulty" cards onto the computer. Then I would try formatting the cards in-camera, using the K200 that recognizes them. Might bring them back to life!

01-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for this latest post! More options to try. Also getting fresh batteries later today as it couldn't hurt. But I like the formatting idea that was common in the other thread.
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, update. New batteries put in, and still problems. One camera will not read any cards and still says no card in camera. The other camera doesn't even turn on!
01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photo.net:
I really don't have a clue to offer more suggestions.

I do wonder if you can check on the firmware version on all three K200. You can do that in having the Menu button fully pressed while powering on your camera . See if there is a difference in the good working #3 from the two non-working one. It is unlikely that you get different versions of firmware but if they differ, there may be a pattern to investigate further.

And I will further suggest to use your #3 to reformat one SD card and right after reformatting, test the SD card directly on #1 and #2.

The other odd suggestion is to examine an existing card before and after reformat, and run through virus checking software on the SD card alone. If you are on PC, I recommend the free Microsoft Essential. As remotely unlikely as it sounds, I did get virus twice on an SD card when I helped my relative with photo shoot on two separate occasions and when I transported image files to his PC, I get virus in both times on the SD card. It is a live and learn experience in 'Write Protect' an SD card before plugging the card into a PC that may not be secure with the proper virus protection.

What are the odds that a defective SD card that make two of your K200 inoperable? I can't tell but it does not explain why the same SD card does not kill your 3rd K200. Unless you already stop using the original defective SD card.

I will just suggest to arm your system with a good virus software such as Microsoft Essential to examine your SD card. You can use the Windows Explorer in PC and Finder in Mac to look through your SD card for the strange files that don't end in raw or JPG. Reformat especially those new SD card with no data. And remember to check on the firmware versions on all three K200. This may sound absurd but if you have an old point and shoot camera that can be tossed into the investigation, use the p&s to examine the SD card as a guinea pig.
I quoted my reply to John in photo.net thread. And John, do you mind to tell us the exact SD card and your firmware version on your #3 that is working. I just don't know if it is the obvious thing in your two non-working cameras that have old firmware and that you are using a later model of SD card requiring support of SDHC in newer firmware.

QuoteQuote:
Latest firmware page for K200

Latest K200D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Changes to V1.01
The following content have been improved in Version 1.01.
Improved stability of recording image for some SDHC Memory card.

Last edited by hinman; 01-31-2013 at 09:19 AM.