Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Party Shoot

Hey guys. first time poster here.

Here's my problem. I am in my first year of photography at college and have been asked to shoot my sister's partner's grans birthday on Saturday.
But I only own a KR with kit lens. They asked me how much I would charge having not done anything like this before though i'm a bit hesitant to do it.

Would you guys recommend anything ? or should I turn the party down or what?

any help big or small would be amazing.

01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this going to be a formal celebration type party, or a night club type party? If its a club party, the kit lens and K-r could work if you have a good flash or at least a flash diffuser. You would have to take photos of all the nearest and dearest and of the most memorable situations. Remember that party photos don't need to be optically perfect. They should convey the chaos, the fun, and the uniqueness of the party. Just don't be shy, you will have to get into people's faces, smile, and take a photo of them partying.
Try taking photos in a dark place with second curtain sync. You can charge just a couple of bucks (for gas, for your time taking photos and developing them) or you can charge a little more and buy a decent flash. Ahead of time, make sure you read up on this type of photography, look at a lot of party photos (this is becoming a big business btw, there are a lot of photos online). Oh, and shoot raw and then use software to process the photos.

And don't worry about it You can even say you'll take photos and they can pay you as much as they think its worth it after you show them the photos.
01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

So you have been asked to shoot your sisters husbands grand parents B-day party?. If so, it is family and you can not charge nor refuse.
Just say yes and do your best with the gear you have.
My 2 pennies worth.

Cheers.
01-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
So you have been asked to shoot your sisters husbands grand parents B-day party?. If so, it is family and you can not charge nor refuse.
Just say yes and do your best with the gear you have.
My 2 pennies worth.

Cheers.

+1 so that makes 4 cents worth of input. If you could borrow and practice a little with a fast prime; do that otherwise just use the flash.

01-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys. it's not her husband it's just a partner. I don't have a diffuser or what, just the onboard flash. don't charge is a pretty good idea as I wouldn't be too confident in how good the photos would be.

I potentially may be able to borrow stuff from college. if so should I borrow a flash gun ?
01-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by degnann Quote
should I borrow a flash gun ?
I would. There are several websites with instructions on how to DIY a flash diffuser.
How To Make A Simple And Effective Flash Diffuser | DIYPhotography.net
01-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #7

Like others have said, I wouldn't charge for it, since it's a family event etc.

I'd say read up on "party" type shots, low light shooting, and take a look at some group photo's so you have an idea of posing if you want to have a go at that. Nabbing a flash from college is a good idea too.

Family events are perfect for trying things out - no pressure, people know you, it'll be easy to talk to people, and at the end of the day people will end up being happy with whatever pictures you end up with. However, what I would suggest though, is use this to learn as much as possible, not only using the camera, but how to get reactions out of people, how to not get in people's way, how to be subtle and grab little moments and expressions, and how to edit/select your final shots - you have nothing to lose! . You could even go as far as treating it like it was a paying job if you wanted to, and go in there with such a mindset, so that you get a feel for event photography.

Remember you can always use the best pics for your portfolio too.
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for all the advice guys. i've never met any of his side of the family. so my sister told me to charge them. college are letting me borrow a canon 550D and 430 ex speedlite. so hopefully I'll get better shoots using that

01-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
While I wouldn't charge anything for the services, I would try to determine the expectations of the people who are asking you to shoot the party. It is surprising, some people think that they can ask any photographer to shoot their event and you find out, after the event, that they expected professional results without hiring a professional.
01-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #10

my 2 cents

when my sister ask me how much I would charge to shoot her sons wedding because the could not afford a " " real photographer""
I do not shoot weddings..
so I told her to make sure all the guest bring cameras and take lots of pictures to give to the new couple.
I was not stressed because I was not commited to get the perfect shoot and I knew they would get pictures
if you do the same thing it should make it a lot less stressful on you
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by steve sessem Quote
when my sister ask me how much I would charge to shoot her sons wedding because the could not afford a " " real photographer""
Keep hearing this kind of thing more and more. I don't shoot weddings either but, I just find it strage how some people can budget for the location/reception/band etc, but when it comes to the photo's (or video), the things that are going to last and that they're going to be able to look at years from now, they want to do it on the cheap. Having said that though, I've looked at some wedding video's/sites that are expensive and .. oh ... my ... god - some of this stuff is down right awful! So expensive for what they are! Just horrible DV cam footage with zoom/swipe effects, or slideshows with such cheesy music! Arrrrggggh! /end rant :P
01-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My dad was talking about wedding photography recently. He did it working part time for a large local operation, in the 60s and early 70s. What they wanted from him was a set of shots so they could sell photo albums. They had a shot list that they wanted.

"How many did you take?" I asked.
"Well, at least 24 shots, that's what the list said."
"But how many did you take altogether, just to be sure you had some backups?"
"Oh, maybe 100. More if it was a big group."

This is with a twin-lens reflex, manual focus, big crank on the side to advance the film, awesome chest-level viewfinder - in fact, using the viewfinder was much like using a P&S or camera phone today, just frame the shot on the big screen.