Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
Oh Lauren! I hope you didn't trash your monopod. So what did you do? Just take a wooden dowel and place it in the center of the metal piece and give it a whack with a hammer?
1) use an air compressor to blow air under ther rubber part of the monopd to expose the pin under the head.

2) take a punch, and drive out the pin.

3) Take a dowel and tap the plastic base out from the monopod from the inside.

4) Use a punch to push out the stud/sleeve assembly from the plastic base.

Optional - if you have a metal lathe

5) You can repair this by using an existing 3/8-16 bolt and drill a center 1/4 hole down the center, and creating a small groove for the spring.

As for trashing my monopod?

It's already back together and good as new!!!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Wow, That is a fantastic help. I'll go try it now! I had sent an email to Manfrotto but no response. Called bogentripodparts and was told you have to buy the entire top tube with the mounting disc, and here on our own little forum are crazy guys willing to wreck their own equipment just to try and help someone with a problem! I guess it's like the saying mountain climbers use, "Because it's there". Guys just gotta take stuff apart!
And crazy women too!!

01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmmm, I tried it with a wooden broom handle and a metal crowbar to no avail. Maybe I need to go buy a hardwood dowel of smaller diameter. What diameter did you use. Did you whack it with a hammer or just turn it dowel down and hit it on the floor while holding the aluminum tube?
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got it! The pin runs horizontal and is concealed by the rubber! Again, I ASS u ME d that you were a guy because you are a machinist. But hey, I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska in the 70's and there were women who could do it all as well as any male! We just get led into stereotypes by the numbers, I guess.

01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Hmmmm, I tried it with a wooden broom handle and a metal crowbar to no avail. Maybe I need to go buy a hardwood dowel of smaller diameter. What diameter did you use. Did you whack it with a hammer or just turn it dowel down and hit it on the floor while holding the aluminum tube?
Did you remove the pin!!!!!

You have to take THIS pin out first!!!!

01-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got it! The pin runs horizontal and is concealed by the rubber! Again, I ASS u ME d that you were a guy because you are a machinist. But hey, I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska in the 70's and there were women who could do it all as well as any male! We just get led into stereotypes by the numbers, I guess.
Heehee. Had a steering column like that, once. Late to the party, myself. But Pentax gals are Pentaxians even without the motorcycles.

And in this case, pin-sets.

Wondering: Is there anything that means the 1/4" thread can't be used if the mangled 3/8-threaded sleeve and probably that spring can be removed? Seems like at least you could just knock/file the 3/8 threads off (if they're stuck,) and put the original piece back if the 1/4 threads aren't destroyed as well? (It looks like the 3/8" parts might not be even needed: and these days there aren't a lot of monopod heads that even seem to need that size: if the OP did, then he could just use a regular reducer bushing, I think. Unless I'm not seeing something there.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-29-2013 at 04:01 PM.
01-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Many years ago when I needed parts for my Bogen tripod I contacted Bogen (still in existence then). It took me several times for them to respond, by fax. I was able to speak to a guy in the parts/service department. Since the tripod and head were a package deal the model numbers were different then just the legs alone. We narrowed it down to three models and he sent me the explode parts diagrams for the three candidates by email. The diagrams have many more parts than what bogentripodparts lists for the model I have. A phone call later and the parts were in the mail. I don't give credit card info in email.

I would continue to try to contact Manfrotto, sending Lauren's photo of the part in question. It's probably a standard part that hasn't changed since it was put into production.
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heehee. Had a steering column like that, once. Late to the party, myself. But Pentax gals are Pentaxians even without the motorcycles.

And in this case, pin-sets.

Wondering: Is there anything that means the 1/4" thread can't be used if the mangled 3/8-threaded sleeve and probably that spring can be removed? Seems like at least you could just knock/file the 3/8 threads off and put the original piece back if the 1/4 threads aren't destroyed as well?
Good thinking...but.

The 3/8 sleeve has a socket it fits into, hex in shape, that is molded into the plastic base. The bottom of the 1/4 stud also has a hex, and a molded socket into the plastic. Manfrotto did that so that when tightening a head, the studs would not move. It's a very good design.

If the 3/8 sleeve is mangled, I would suggest cutting off the mangled part, and using the sleeve as a "guide". Without the 3/8 sleeve, the 1/4 stud will move around a bit.

I think you *could* try and use the 1/4 stud without the spring or the 3/8 sleeve, but without the sleeve, the 1/4 stud will move up and possibly out of the plastic base, since the sleeve acts like a stopper/retainer.

01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Good thinking...but.

The 3/8 sleeve has a socket it fits into, hex in shape, that is molded into the plastic base. The bottom of the 1/4 stud also has a hex, and a molded socket into the plastic. Manfrotto did that so that when tightening a head, the studs would not move. It's a very good design.

If the 3/8 sleeve is mangled, I would suggest cutting off the mangled part, and using the sleeve as a "guide". Without the 3/8 sleeve, the 1/4 stud will move around a bit.

I think you *could* try and use the 1/4 stud without the spring or the 3/8 sleeve, but without the sleeve, the 1/4 stud will move up and possibly out of the plastic base, since the sleeve acts like a stopper/retainer.
Ah, we're thinking along the same lines, then. What about flipping the 3/8" sleeve *over,* even, (so the hex head is 'up' toward the camera platform) .... assuming it is intact enough and can do the job with or without the spring in there?

(I suppose alternately we might be back at knocking/cutting the 3/8s threads off of the rest of the sleeve so it all goes back together as originally but without the mangled threads in the way.)
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah, we're thinking along the same lines, then. What about flipping the 3/8" sleeve *over,* even, (so the hex head is 'up' toward the camera platform) .... assuming it is intact and can do the job with or without the spring in there?
Hmm..that could work!!!
However, the hexes molded into the plastic are "stepped". The spring is needed to push the 3/8 sleeve into the upper (hex) part. Without the spring, the 3/8 sleeve will fall down in the the 1/4 stud hex, which is a larger size - and thus not provide any support for the 1/4 stud.

01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Hmm..that could work!!!
However, the hexes molded into the plastic are "stepped". The spring is needed to push the 3/8 sleeve into the upper (hex) part. Without the spring, the 3/8 sleeve will fall down in the the 1/4 stud hex, which is a larger size - and thus not provide any support for the 1/4 stud.

I guess if you can try that out without too much trouble, it'll tell us something. (All I'm really worried about there is if the spring is too big even compressed all the way down to fit that way) ...I suppose at least the 3/8" parts could do what they're meant to with the threaded portion cut or ground off, if that fails. (And assuming again of course that the 1/4" stud is still good. )
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahhh, Yes. Thank you LaurenOE! My monopod is repaired and reassembled exactly as I wanted it. I removed the 3/8" bushing and the spring as shown in your photograph of the top assembly, so now I can just screw the monopod directly to my camera to keep it light and simple when I am hiking. All's well that ends well.
01-29-2013, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

Ahhh, Yes. Thank you LaurenOE! My monopod is repaired and reassembled exactly as I wanted it. I removed the 3/8" bushing and the spring as shown in your photograph of the top assembly, so now I can just screw the monopod directly to my camera to keep it light and simple when I am hiking. All's well that ends well.
Cool. Glad I could help!

Signing off.