Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with Bogen monopod mounting stud

Hi:
I just got myself in a jam regarding a used 3018 Bogen monopod that I recently bought on Craigslist. It did not have a head and I wanted to mount my Pentax camera directly to the top of the monopod to keep things light and simple. The threaded stud for mounting a head on top of the monopod was 3/8", however, and of course my camera has a 1/4" 20 female thread to mount on a tripod or monopod. In looking at my monopod, it appeared that the stud was 1/4" with a 3/8" bushing screwed over it. I looked all over the web for a diagram of the monopod without any luck, and thinking that the stud was 1/4" with a bushing screwed over it, I took a pair of vice grips and tried to unscrew what I thought was a bushing. All I succeeded in doing was to mangle the outer 3/8" thread! More research seems to indicate that it was some kind of dual thread stud with the outer part spring loaded. Now I am trying to figure out how to remove the mangled stud and replace it. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the top plate off the monopod so I can replace the mounting stud? I removed the top tube section, and when I look down it I can see what what looks like a plastic spider and a metal center with a slot in it slightly off center. I am thinking maybe the top plate is not removable and I ruined the monopod! Bummer. Live and learn ...at least I only paid $25 for it. Any advice on the construction method or how to remove and replace the stud would be appreciated. Thanks

01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
Hi:
I just got myself in a jam regarding a used 3018 Bogen monopod that I recently bought on Craigslist. It did not have a head and I wanted to mount my Pentax camera directly to the top of the monopod to keep things light and simple. The threaded stud for mounting a head on top of the monopod was 3/8", however, and of course my camera has a 1/4" 20 female thread to mount on a tripod or monopod. In looking at my monopod, it appeared that the stud was 1/4" with a 3/8" bushing screwed over it. I looked all over the web for a diagram of the monopod without any luck, and thinking that the stud was 1/4" with a bushing screwed over it, I took a pair of vice grips and tried to unscrew what I thought was a bushing. All I succeeded in doing was to mangle the outer 3/8" thread! More research seems to indicate that it was some kind of dual thread stud with the outer part spring loaded. Now I am trying to figure out how to remove the mangled stud and replace it. Does anyone know if it is possible to take the top plate off the monopod so I can replace the mounting stud? I removed the top tube section, and when I look down it I can see what what looks like a plastic spider and a metal center with a slot in it slightly off center. I am thinking maybe the top plate is not removable and I ruined the monopod! Bummer. Live and learn ...at least I only paid $25 for it. Any advice on the construction method or how to remove and replace the stud would be appreciated. Thanks
There is no simple way to fix this, as the direct part is hard to come by.
I can fix this - but I have a metal lathe and mill, so my results are not typical.
If you want to sell it cheap, drop me a PM.
01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your problem sounds familiar, from some old post, couple years ago, just cant remember the details.
BTW there was an easy fix for it too.
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Your problem sounds familiar, from some old post, couple years ago, just cant remember the details.
BTW there was an easy fix for it too.
If the outer 3/8-16 thread can still be pushed down, sure that could work.
However, if the thread is toast, the easy fix won't work.

The OP can unscrew the top portion of the monopod and over come the gray lock-tight, as the top is threaded on. I'm not 100% sure it's not a press fit. Some Manfrottos used an acorn nut to secure them. It's hard to know for sure since I don't know the exact model even though the OP has a Bogen part #.

Once the top is removed, you can access the mangled stud and replace it with a simple 1/4/-20 and a bushing.

01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Bogen/Manfrotto monopods have a nested screw setup. The outer 3/8" thread is spring loaded and just pushes down exposing the 1/4" threads. The 3/8" sometimes gets stuck down and you might have to pry it up.

Manfrotto might have a replacement part if you can remove the top.
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
If the outer 3/8-16 thread can still be pushed down, sure that could work.
However, if the thread is toast, the easy fix won't work.

The OP can unscrew the top portion of the monopod and over come the gray lock-tight, as the top is threaded on. I'm not 100% sure it's not a press fit. Some Manfrottos used an acorn nut to secure them. It's hard to know for sure since I don't know the exact model even though the OP has a Bogen part #.

Once the top is removed, you can access the mangled stud and replace it with a simple 1/4/-20 and a bushing.
Thanks for the assistance, but what's an "OP" as referred to in LaurenOE's post? Are you saying that the black plactic top that sits on the aluminum tube of the monopod can be removed? I had wondered the metal piece I see looking up inside the top tube at the underside is some sort of a screw. I don't have a 2 foot screwdriver, however, so I couldn't try it.
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP = Original Poster
Most monopods have a top that screws in...give me a couple of minutes to go and look at my Manfrotto.

Brb. (Be-Right-Back)

01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I just tried to take my Manfrotto 680 apart.

No-freak'n-way I can get the top off. I have motorcycle tools, and I have a fork-tube vise that can clamp pretty well. The top of the 680 won't budge even with a good amount of force applied!!!

My insides look like this...

I think I am going to sequester-out of this, because at this point, $25 is not worth the effort.

It appears, that Manfrotto presses into the upper monopod the head - but I'm not 100% since most manufacturers screw the top on. It could be grey lock-tight up there, but without a exploded parts diagram, I can't honestly say how to take this apart.

Worst case scenario, If all else fails, I might be tempted to cut below the top where the stud is, get if off, and see if I could make a simple replacement.

Dunno. I'm out here since I don't want to recommend a fix that destroys everything.
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take a 32 tooth hacksaw blade, lay it flat on the head and cut around the circumference of the 3/8" adapter. You may need to hold the adapter with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Don't apply much pressure to the blade and make sure the arrow's blade is facing toward you and use the backstroke to cut.
01-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good photo! Yes, my 3016 looks exactly like that. I see what looks like a slotted screw head up there, but it doesn't look like it will turn so your explanation of it being pressed in sounds reasonable. I have been trying to use my Dremel to carefully cut around the 3/8" sleeve so I can remove it. What a dumb ass thing I did by ASS u ME ing that the 3/8" threaded part was a bushing as on my Induro tripod with Vanguard head. If all else fails, I may cut the top off and try to figure out a way to reattach the top plate with a new 3/8" x 18 stainless bolt up from the bottom. At least that way I'd have the satisfaction of knowing how these suckers are made!
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandstone Quote
I see what looks like a slotted screw head up there!
That looks like a pin to me. It's too off-center to be a screw. Hmmm maybe there is a pin, that goes in there to prevent unscrewing the top.

brb.

01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

YES!!!! It's a pin and the top "pops" off with a little dowel hit from underneath!!!

Remove the pin first!!!!

Last edited by LaurenOE; 01-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you have the top off, it's an easy push, and the internal 1/4-20 stud and 3/8-16 sleeve is exposed.

Simple replacement!!!

01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh Lauren! I hope you didn't trash your monopod. So what did you do? Just take a wooden dowel and place it in the center of the metal piece and give it a whack with a hammer?
01-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, That is a fantastic help. I'll go try it now! I had sent an email to Manfrotto but no response. Called bogentripodparts and was told you have to buy the entire top tube with the mounting disc, and here on our own little forum are crazy guys willing to wreck their own equipment just to try and help someone with a problem! I guess it's like the saying mountain climbers use, "Because it's there". Guys just gotta take stuff apart!