Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

What are some good beginning to intermediate Photography Learning Books

Can anyone recommend photography books that were helpful to you learning photography on a beginning or intermediate level?

Thanks.

01-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by toytruck Quote
Can anyone recommend photography books that were helpful to you learning photography on a beginning or intermediate level?

Thanks.
"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson

"The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby

Must-reads!
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out this thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/210990-line-courses-basics.html
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Reader's Digest Photography Manual is classic. It covers all the basics and is old enough that you can read it for free from a library.

Then, I'll second the recommendation for Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Read it once you get the basics from another book since this
one only covers exposure.

Even more important is a book on composition which I would recommend as The Photographer's Eye by Micheal Freeman. This is the best book on compositon in my opinion. You can read my review of it to know more.

Finally, the one which influenced me the most is National Geographic's Photography Field Guide. Read it several times and this one is about putting photography in practice. If you plan to do travel photography or just general unplanned shooting, this is an excellent book.

Once you get the basics, look for books on photography themes that you like.

Good luck and have fun!

- Itai

01-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually, when I was learning, we were all reading "The Negative" and "The Print" by Ansel Adams - but I readily admit to being an old f**t.

For something closer to this century, I think Peterson's books referenced above are pretty good. I liked Kelby's book series but he is one of those "you love him or you hate him" kind of writers. There is a lot of useful information there if you can get past his cheesy jokes.
01-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I can also recommend Understanding Exposure. As a beginner I have just read this myself cover to cover and found it very useful. In fact I plan to read it again as some of the earlier stuff will make more sense to me now. Go buy it...