Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 overrules manual settings

Sine a few weeks, when I work with my K5 in manual mode (I always work in manual mode) the camera seems to lead it own life.
It changes both shutter speed and aperture.
And when I look at the pictures I have taken, it is almost as if my camera is in bracketing mode (which it isn't). If you look at the photo's they show: dark, normal, light, dark normal light, ... I am not talking about a series here. they are different pictures but each time with a different exposure allthough the same aperture and shutterspeed are set on the camera.
Could it be a bug? Is it possible that a camera overrides your manual settings?

01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check the setup to see if "program line" is assigned to the green button in manual mode, or just press the green button and see if the behavior stops. In the camera's default settings, "program line" is assigned to the green button, and it is easy to press it and end up with aperture and shutter speed linked when you think you are in full manual mode.

I had this happen early on with a studio flash setup and it drove me nuts until I figured it out. I kept thinking "what is it about the word 'manual' that the camera does not understand?" I think the feature is designed to change the shutter to stay at the same exposure if you change the aperture. I found it maddening and just disabled the feature on that button.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-31-2013 at 08:00 AM.
01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wigelII Quote
they show: dark, normal, light, dark normal light, ... I am not talking about a series here. they are different pictures but each time with a different exposure allthough the same aperture and shutterspeed are set on the camera.
The behaviour you describe sounds exactly like you *are* in bracketing mode--where each shutter press is a different stage of the bracket.

Try re-setting your camera to default settings and see if that fixes it.
02-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I now disabled the green button to see if this has any effect (I must admit that I now noticed that, in the heat of the battle, it's easy to push it without knowing).
If this doesn't work, I'll try a facory reset.

Thanks for the feedback.

02-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Check the exif data to see what it is actually doing.

What lens are you using? I've had problems before with the aperture lever sticking or the aperture leaves not closing. The body holds the aperture open during composition, then when the shutter is actuated, it drops the lever a certain amount to set the aperture, and the springs in the lens close the aperture. If it is slow or sticky, when the shutter is open the aperture could be in the wrong place. Try shooting wide open to see if you get the same results.
02-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you might be in HDR mode.
The K-5 has two ways to take HDR images.

Go to Menu > Page 2 > HDR Capture, and make sure it is set to OFF.

I have also been trapped by this before.

Last edited by chromo; 02-04-2013 at 03:06 PM.
02-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
After trayni ng the other suggestions, I have reset the camera to its factory settings.

Problem is solved (but I still don't know the cause).