Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

k-30 AF issues

Hi,

I have a K-30 (1.5 month old), and I finally realized, it has a wandering AF. I tested it with my camera on a tripod, remote shutter release, proper lighting and the focus test chart diagram. I've adjusted the shutter to 4 to have a narrow DOF, and shot several shots. Most of the images presented significant FF. I've adjusted the AF adjustment, until I get to -10 when suddenly insane BF was present, then adjust til -4. But the check shot introduced FF again...Most of the images were OK with -4 but considering that it should focus on a black strip on a white paper, it's not really convincing.

Finally I set the shutter to 2.8 and everything was wrong. The best result was achieved with -10 at the all adjustment, and -10 on the lens specific setting...WHOA...

There are several solutions:

1. I try to take it back to the shop for immediate replacement (since it's only 1.5 month old)
2. I take it to the service
3. I throw out the Tamron lens, and go for Pentax lenses only (I might need to test the AF with Pentax lens also)
4. Leave the Pentax brand, and go for Nikon...

I need your experience guys...

02-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you do #1, they will probably tell you to do #2.
Which lens are you using btw? Also, keep in mind that the AF points are pretty big, bigger than focus indicators might make you think.
Did you try taking photos outside? Because test chart AF isn't the same as real world AF.
But you know, feel free to get it exchanged. It might be worth it, just so you have a clear conscience. If the second one behaves the same way, well then the problem isn't the camera.
02-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I got a Tamron 28-75/f2.8 SP, etc. Really cool lens, IMO.

I shot outdoor as well, and sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. Actually the test chart has a black strip in the center, and nothing around it that could cheat the sensor.

I'll try to replace the camera.
02-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
By the way, does the Apply All and Apply One values add together in AF adjustment?

02-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A simple query: have you the latest firmaware update?

Pentax released a couple of firmware updates incl.:

Changes to V1.02

• Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.
  • Improved stability for general performance..
Changes to V1.01

• Improved performance of contrast AF
  • Improved stability for general performance.
If you have not done it, I would suggest to update directly to firmware 1.02 (which includes the 1.01 updates) and to redo your tests, before sending the camera to services.

Hope that the comment may help.
02-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did, and apparently there were real improvement on AF, but shooting at the testchart gives really mixed result. However, in real life shooting it's quite good!