Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

K5II s won't switch off

I've been enjoying my K5IIs ... however came across a problem today where the camera froze... shutter button wouldn't work and camera would not switch off. Had to remove battery to achieve this. I was using a DA 35 2.8 limited lens at the time. Any comments please?

02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have a been a very small number of similar incidents with K-5/K-7 cameras. Remove the battery, rechage fully the battery and re-install the battery. This would typically resolve any issue.

I had myself once such a pb with my K-7 in 3 years, and nothing since. Unless this becomes a recurrent issue, I would not be too worry.

Hope that the comment may help.

Last edited by hcc; 02-03-2013 at 12:38 AM.
02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
There have a been a very small number of similar incidents with K-5/K-=7. Remove the battery, rechage fully the battery and re-install the battery. This would typically resolve any issue.

I had myself once such a pb with my K-7 in 3 years, and nothing since. Unless this becomes a recurrent issue, I would not be too worry.

Hope that the comment may help.
Thank you for your reply hcc... I'll just keep an eye on it. Worked fine for the rest of the day so I'm not overly worried.
02-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by logjam Quote
I've been enjoying my K5IIs ... however came across a problem today where the camera froze... shutter button wouldn't work and camera would not switch off. Had to remove battery to achieve this. I was using a DA 35 2.8 limited lens at the time. Any comments please?
This happens but as hcc said it's very rare. It only happened once with my K-5 (like a year and a half ago). I think low voltage is usually to blame, but it could also be caused by firmware bugs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm curious to know if this kind of thing plagues other brands. My IR-converted K200D has done some peculiar things when its batteries get low. For all I know the weirdness might have something to do with the conversion, though.
02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yes thanks Adam... I guess that to a certain extent this a computing device with a lens attached so not all that surprising. I did upgrade the firmware using the link provided here but haven't noticed any other problems so far.
02-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
DNT

Photos: Albums
Yeah I've had this problem 3x after updating the firmware; twice with 1.01 and so far once with 1.02. Still trying too figure out what conditions cause the issue
02-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well if you get there let us know! Will keep an eye on the situation.

02-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Still trying too figure out what conditions cause the issue
It's random. Mine (5 or so times, before and after update) have been spaced out over time, but none in the last few months. Low voltage not the cause.
02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #10

Original Poster
Not Low Voltage

Yes although I thought it was possibe that the battery might have been low it wasn't showing low charge at the time and worked for several hours after the event... from memory. It hasn't happened since mind you so I'm not overly worried. This isn't right obviously so I suspect further firmware upgrades may sort it out. Hope so.
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hello Ponosby... I refer you to my previous post...Yes thanks Adam... I guess that to a certain extent this a computing device with a lens attached so not all that surprising. I did upgrade the firmware using the link provided here but haven't noticed any other problems so far.

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/214087-...#ixzz2KAkQqk5g

However this "Welcome to the modern world" stuff is a bit patronising... is it unreasonable for folks to expect that a unit should work as advertised? I mean if Pentax promote their camera as a great unit but subject to the odd glitch which you might just have to put up with then all well and good but these shortcomings are not mentioned specifically to my knowledge... unless they are in small print somewhere.

I think that part of the purpose of this forum is to monitor Pentax products and exchange experiences... this does not necessarily imply a naive state of mind.
09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
Has happened twice since the last post.On both occasions the camera "jammed" ~ wouldn't do anything at all then wouldn't switch off but worked fine after battery removal and replacement.
09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have a theory that sometimes the physical switches contribute to these problems -- for instance if your AF switch on the body is slightly between positions, something like that. (Or maybe it just has a flaky contact.) So if this happens to you, I would ask that before removing the battery you test moving the AF/MF switch, the metering type switch, focus point selection switch, and mode dial -- make sure they are all locked in a proper position, move them to other settings and back, etc...
09-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
I hope this is just a firmware bug that will be solve in future firmware update. Mine did the same twice before firmware upgrade and 1 time after. I also have full charge battery in both camera and grip so its not a low voltage issue.
09-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have a theory that sometimes the physical switches contribute to these problems -- for instance if your AF switch on the body is slightly between positions, something like that. (Or maybe it just has a flaky contact.) So if this happens to you, I would ask that before removing the battery you test moving the AF/MF switch, the metering type switch, focus point selection switch, and mode dial -- make sure they are all locked in a proper position, move them to other settings and back, etc...
Yes that is sensible advice... I'll try that next time.