Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Old K mount lens won't fit on my k-r body

I just recently purchased an Access P-MC 35-70mm f/2.5-3.5 lens to use with my Pentax k-r, and mistakenly thought that I could use the two together because the seller advertised it as a K mount lens. I just opened the package today and tried to fit the lens on the camera body, but with no luck. After several careful tries, it seems like the problem is that part of the lens mount is hitting prematurely with the inside of the body of my camera - if you look at the image below, the part that is interfering is the raised black ring that goes about 1/3 of the way around the inner black face of the lens. (It is the highest part of the lens when it is set face-down as in the photo, shown on the left half of the photo.) The length of this raised part seems very long compared to the rest of the lenses I own, as the comparable part on my kit lens only goes around ~1/8th the circumference of the lens, not 1/3rd.

After poking around the forums a bit, as well as some other off-site articles, I haven't found info on whether or not I need an adapter for this or if I can somehow modify the lens to fit on my k-r body. I did see some warnings about lenses with a Ricoh pin potentially being too long and needing to be removed before they can be used on Pentax DSLRs, but the lens I have has no pins visible whatsoever.

Sorry if my description of the problem seem simplistic - I'm new to this and haven't really developed a photography vocabulary yet. Any thoughts on how I can get this lens to fit on my camera? The simplest thing to do would seem to cut off the part that's sticking up too far, but I'm wondering if it can be solved in a more elegant way.

Edit: It looks like this person may have had a similar problem, but it seems as though the OP never returned to clarify the problem. Any advice on how to protect the glass parts if I have to take a dremel tool to this lens?...

02-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That flange is probably getting in the way of the SDM contacts. It should only cover the area around the aperture actuator, nothing more. I don't think an adapter is going to help, but you could try removing the part and trimming it.

If you can return this lens, then there sure are plenty of others out there than you could try, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The aperture shield is hitting the SDM connector. The shield is held on by 3 or 4 small screws. You will need a #00 Philips head to remove them. If they are too tight, don't force them, get a JIS screw driver of the proper size (JIS is the proper driver, not Philips). You can the grind the shield down or just get rid of it.
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've made the modification that boriscleto describes on a couple Soligor K-mount lenses.

Here's a photo (Pentax M on left, modified Soligor on right, material removed marked in red):

02-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone! I don't have the proper screw drivers to get the part off just yet, but at least now I know what I need to do and what I need to do it. I'll let you know how it goes!
02-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If all you have is a #00 phillips and the screws are to tight (This takes a little practice). While applying turning pressure to the screw with the screwdriver GENLTY tap the top of the screwdriver with a small hammer or the handle of one. This helps set up a vibration that will usually loosen up the screw.
02-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as JIS screw divers go, I ordered a set of these.
JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis - Amazon.com

02-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
I picked up a #00 Phillips at Menard's for $3 and was able to remove the mounting to grind off the offending flange. The dremel job (and the photo, sorry guys) aren't that pretty, but the lens works great now. Thanks for your help, everyone!

02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work! A black Sharpie can hide the scars and prevent unwanted reflections.
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
ood work! A black Sharpie can hide the scars and prevent unwanted reflections.
+1 Sharpie does work great
02-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Had similaråroblem withTefnon lens

I had a similar problem with a Tefnon lens. My solution was to use a teleconverter between the lens and the digital body. Unfortunately the image quality with that $100 lens and the $20 converter was so bad that I gave them both away to somebody who was willing to accept the combo.