Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Focusing issues on K100D Super

I just got back from Florida and downloaded my pics onto my computer. And to my dismay a lot of them are blurry. I used a tripod and after looking through the viewer I switched on autofocus to make sure this didn't happen. I used my macro lens 70-300 1:4 -5.6 to get real close. I think the issue is I had my speed up to 1600 because of the wind. Please see photos. I look foward to your input.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo       
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At ISO 1600 the K100D isn't too hot, but it should still be unusable. The -1 exposure compensation explains why they are underexposed. The lens may explain the poor image quality as it actually looks like the AF focused more or less properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When using a tripod, you should disable SR, and if possible, use a remote shutter switch or the self-timer to avoid camera movement & possible blur. Especially when using the long end of the zoom, which makes it very sensitive to any kind of movement. (Sorry if you're already aware of this!) Looking at your photos, I'm unsure whether it's a focus issue, or camera shake. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Last edited by paulh; 02-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.
02-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
When using a tripod, you should disable SR, and if possible, use a remote shutter switch or the self-timer to avoid camera movement & possible blur. Especially when using the long end of the zoom, which makes it very sensitive to any kind of movement. (Sorry if you're already aware of this!) Looking at your photos, I'm unsure whether it's a focus issue, or camera shake. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Thank you for your reply. I'm getting discouraged at this point. Seems the more I read and do as instructed the worse the pics get.

02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The EXIF data shows that the camera was set to underexpose the photos by 1.0 EV. Adam mentioned this in passing above, but you might not have caught that. Check your camera settings. Hopefully the EV compensation wasn't set to -1.0 EV for all of your shots.

Have you used this lens on your camera before?

Please don't get discouraged!
02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The EXIF data shows that the camera was set to underexpose the photos by 1.0 EV. Adam mentioned this in passing above, but you might not have caught that. Check your camera settings. Hopefully the EV compensation wasn't set to -1.0 EV for all of your shots.

Have you used this lens on your camera before?

Please don't get discouraged!
Thanks a bunch. No, I missed Adams comment. Or maybe I saw it and said - what?? I'll look that one up. Oh and yes, that lens is my favorite.
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be sure to set your EV back to zero for starters. You may have accidently changed it to -1. I rarely exceed iso800 on my K100D. I only use 1600 for emergencies! As a general rule of thumb, I'll use iso 200-400 for sunny outdoor shots, 400-800 outdoors when it's darker or cloudy, or most indoor shots. Try to hold camera steady, and give it time for the AF and SR to kick in. I find center-point AF works best for me. Hang in there and don't give up!

02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pattc1 Quote
Thanks a bunch. No, I missed Adams comment. Or maybe I saw it and said - what?? I'll look that one up. Oh and yes, that lens is my favorite.
If this lens is your favourite, it must normally work OK.

That means something must be different in this set.
02-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't have the 100D Super so I can't tell you how to reset the EV compensation, but once you get that straightened out, post some new test shots taken with good lighting, and autofocus enabled, and we can have a fresh look.