Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #1

Is my DA 18-55mm lens defected

I was testing the lens I just received and found it had a difficult time to focus even under bright light, making a lot of noise but can't do it. This is under fully automatic mode on K5 with latest firmware. The only other lens I have is a manual and it works fine with the focus help under manual mode (beep and green point). Is there something wrong with the lens, or camera?

02-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the lens focus ring spin when the AF is running ?
If not, check that the AF/MF switch is properly in the AF position. Also check that the lens is properly mounted and that the spring loaded AF drive shaft on the camera (at about 4 o'clock position) is not stuck in.

Can you manually focus the lens ?
The lens focus ring should be easy to spin manually with the lens off camera without any resistance or grinding noise.

Is there any difference between live view and viewfinder focusing ?
02-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add to that, don't try to focus on something with no contrast, like a cloudless sky or blank wall.
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I know Vietnam is a Communist country, but the Cold War is over and we have normal trade relations with them now

02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I know Vietnam is a Communist country, but the Cold War is over and we have normal trade relations with them now
That traitor! Should be lined up against a contrasty wall and shot! ...ok maybe that was a bit too far...
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Does the lens focus ring spin when the AF is running ?
If not, check that the AF/MF switch is properly in the AF position. Also check that the lens is properly mounted and that the spring loaded AF drive shaft on the camera (at about 4 o'clock position) is not stuck in.

Can you manually focus the lens ?
The lens focus ring should be easy to spin manually with the lens off camera without any resistance or grinding noise.

Is there any difference between live view and viewfinder focusing ?
Thanks for the advice. Turns out it's my mistake. One of the guides I read suggests to press the lens release button when installing lens to avoid unnecessary wear ( I think it's actually on this site). I followed it too faithfully and rotated the lens over the click position.
02-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heraldaz Quote
Thanks for the advice. Turns out it's my mistake. One of the guides I read suggests to press the lens release button when installing lens to avoid unnecessary wear ( I think it's actually on this site). I followed it too faithfully and rotated the lens over the click position.
You should always be wary of what you read on the Internet

I'm glad that you are sorted out. You are unlikely to wear out the lens mount in the life of the camera - it is a pretty basic and reliable mechanical design.
02-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heraldaz Quote
There is nothing wrong with pressing the lens release button when mounting the lens. However this allows you to turn the lens slightly past the proper mounting spot; so once mounted, you need to stop pressing the lens release button and turn the lens back until the lens locking pin clicks into place.

I've occasionally held the lens release button while mounting a lens. For the most part, I just set my lens into the mounting flange and turn it until the lens locking pin engages. But then I don't mount/unmount my lenses so often that I worry a lot about wear.