Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Upgrade Advice

I have only posted here a handful of times and everyone here has given amazing advice, so I figured I would ask for your input once again. I am looking to upgrade my DSLR body but having issues figuring out which is best for me. Currentally I have 2x K10D bodies, my photography ranges but I am focused more towards low light photography including light painting models, Pop Flash, general long exposure night shoots etc. I do help out my friend with weddings and other day time events as well.

So here is what I have been looking at:

K30 (I do find myself out in the rain and snow at night getting shots so the wareproof aspect to this is really nice)
K5 II
K5 IIs

Now I have used DP Review to compare all these camera next to eachother, but I am having a hard time figuring out the big difference between these models. Let me know what you all think and any advice you may have. Also if anyone wants to trade one of those camera bodes for 2 K10d's let me know ahahah!

02-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All three are Weather Resistant.

The K-30 is a 12-bit camera, the two K-5 cameras are 14-bit.

The low light ability of the K-5II and IIs is a huge plus for them given your photography interests.

The K-5 models also take grips which will double the battery life.

The II is a standard sensor with AA filter. The IIs has no AA filter and is much sharper but can produce moire in the images.
02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok so that seems to take the K30 out of the picture, can you explain to me what the AA filter is and if there is any benifit for me getting the K model with it?
02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
Ok so that seems to take the K30 out of the picture, can you explain to me what the AA filter is and if there is any benifit for me getting the K model with it?
The AA filter essentially smudges the image a wee bit in order to avoid developing a moire patter in the image. Repeating geometric patterns in the thing being photographed can cause the sensor to produce odd distortions at times. If you are photographing something like a tweed or other fabric with a tight pattern it may show up in the image as waves or other distortion. Those who have reported on the IIs, without the AA filter, have raved about it being sharp (and their images prove that) and not complained about moire patterns. But it is a potential downside to the AA-less sensor.

Here is a thread that discusses this issue for you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/206168-k-5-iis-dangerous.html

02-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have recently gone from a K 10 to a K 5 and I heartily recommend the K 5. Compared to the K 10, which is a fine camera as you know, the difference is incredible. Low light focusing is vastly improved, and the usability of the higher ISO ranges is really excellent. With the K 5 6400 seems about the same as 800 on the K 10, if not better. The K 5 also seems to have better battery life than the K 10, although I've not tested this. For me the fact that the K 30 lacks a grip is a deal-breaker. I can't speak to the K 5ii in either guise, however.
02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have 2 K-5 IIs and would strongly recommend the IIs..................no moire problems encountered thus far!
02-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

MY heart says get a K5IIs, but my wallet went for a K-5. Getting that much camera at $800 was for me just too much to miss. And I also got a Tamron 17-50 for less than a the cost of a K-5II. I am thinking of upgrading to a K-30 (to replace my K-x) for the more advanced focussing system. I'm thinking it would be the camera to have with the long lens on it for wildlife and BIrds in FLight. It has better tracking capabilites than the K-5. I'm not sure how it stacks up to the K-5 II but it's a lot cheaper, and it comes in blue. I've yet to see a set of comparison shots making a case for 14 bit colour. I have seen one paper from the University of Chicago that argues that there is no theoretical advantage to 14 bit over 12 bit... so I'm hoping someone with both bodies will jump in here and prove you have to have 14 bit. Your jpegs are only 8 bit, so both 12 and 14 are serious overkill. Personally I think it would be very hard to prove that extra 2 bits makes a difference. Note that even though I have a K-5, the K-x still gets used. Sometimes it's nice to have a nice light camera. And the 12 bit vs 14 bit issue has never come up in actual use.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2013 at 10:53 AM.
02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I never thought about the K-5, that is a really good idea. Now where is someone with a extra K5 that wants to trade me! haha if you cant tell i am all about a trade, military pay just is not what I wish it was. I used DP review again to compare the K5 to the II and not really a huge difference.

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

02-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
I never thought about the K-5, that is a really good idea. Now where is someone with a extra K5 that wants to trade me! haha if you cant tell i am all about a trade, military pay just is not what I wish it was. I used DP review again to compare the K5 to the II and not really a huge difference.

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
Their reviews are mediocre IMHO. The AF is better on the II as is the low light performance. Better LCD screen too. The II is able to shoot -3 to 18 EV while the K-5 is -1 to 18 EV.

Try this page
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Doc,
Thank you for the link, i looked at the specs between the II vs K5 and besides the EV and the LCD having air space on the K5 there really is no difference. Now granted I am not a professional photographer, but I am not sure tha those 2 aspects are worth almost double the price of the K5? I may be totally wrong here and way off, which is why I look for peoples advice here, but that is puzziling to me.
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Sig,

I would recommend the K-5 for you. IMO that's already going to feel like a huge upgrade compared to the K10. The K-5 II low-light AF is nice, but you probably won't notice the difference in everyday shooting. There are also only certain situations in which the K-5 IIs holds an advantage over the K-5.

Still, the decision is yours to make, so I'd suggest reading this K-5 vs K-5 II review:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Something that doesn't seem to get mentioned much is that the K-5 (II & IIs) have magnesium alloy chassis while the K-30 is plastic. That is a huge selling point to me.
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That's actually a better point than most realize. OUr first K-x was dropped a few feet and irreparably damaged. We bought one second hand to replace it for 350. With the $500 purchase price that means we've paid 850 for a K-x. The K20 D was dropped and hit so hard it broke the viewfinder glass in two places. But the camera continues to function perfectly, and I just passed it on to my sister with 40,000 actuations. The K20D cost me 850 second hand.

So in essence I paid the same for my K-x (s) as I did for the K20D. With a K-5 at $800 new and the K-30 at $600 the K-5 is really a no brainer. One drop and you've probably cost yourself $400 instead of saving yourself $200.

But I still might go with one for the advanced tracking.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
hiy
Inactive Account

thanks for the post. I learned a lot.