Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Dirt/spots on my pictures :( Please help

Hello!
Brand new k 30, Ive had it for 5 days now, I took it out one night and took some pics, It started to rain a little bit...and really not even rain, more like a slight drop every now and then. The lens I have isn't the WR kit lens, but the camera itself is sealed.
Anyway I pinpointed the time when the spot first showed up, and it is that night between 2 pics taken practically back to back.
it seems when the f stop is like f/29 the spot(s) are very focused, at a wide open they appear more like dark translucent spots. I only have one lens...so I cant really change it out to see if it is the lens, however due to the fact that I pinpointed where they started happening I think it is the rain...? Although I am a total noob so....
Help! why would a weather sealed camera let rain into the insides so easily??
Also, I already used a lens brush and micro fiber cloth kit to gently sweep the front of the lens, although I haven't used any solution yet...

I attatched 3 pics, before after, and after at a different aperture.

Last edited by spectamaniac; 01-01-2014 at 11:13 PM.
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well first, the weather sealing only works with a weather sealed lens. If you use the camera without a WR lens then there is potential for moisture or dust to get in via that gaping hole where the lens mounts. More simply, if the lens isn't sealed then anything that can get into the lens can get into the camera.

Now, the images are small and I don't have the best monitor now but where are the spots? The ones in the top, center of the last pic?
02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Well first, the weather sealing only works with a weather sealed lens. If you use the camera without a WR lens then there is potential for moisture or dust to get in via that gaping hole where the lens mounts. More simply, if the lens isn't sealed then anything that can get into the lens can get into the camera.

Now, the images are small and I don't have the best monitor now but where are the spots?
Along the top. 4 of them in the bottom pic
02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pics with circles

Last edited by spectamaniac; 01-01-2014 at 11:13 PM.
02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
There is a little white streamer thingie on the night pic too...I thought it was a ufo...
02-05-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wouldn't worry, just looks like dust on sensor/back of lens.

Do a dust removal / sensor shake thing in the menu a couple of times first to see if that works. If not clean the rear element of the lens. Invest in a little rocket blower to clean bits of dust off the sensor too.
02-05-2013, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Woj Quote
Wouldn't worry, just looks like dust on sensor/back of lens.

Do a dust removal / sensor shake thing in the menu a couple of times first to see if that works. If not clean the rear element of the lens. Invest in a little rocket blower to clean bits of dust off the sensor too.
+1

This is the most widely recommended accessory for a dSLR in existance -
Giottos Rocket Blaster - Extra Large reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

02-05-2013, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The dust removal of the K-30 isn't as good as the dust removal of the K-5, and even the K-5 gets dust on occasion.

Invest in a Giotto Rocket Blower or equivalent...

If that doesn't work you will need the Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1

Amazon.com: Pentax 39357 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
02-05-2013, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The spots are likely to be dust on the sensor itself. The symptoms for dust on the sensor are spots that are in the same place for every shot, fuzzy blobs at f8 but much sharper at f16 or larger f numbers, and not visible on the lens or in the viewfinder. At smaller f numbers, the spots are barely visible.

Your new camera shouldn't have these straight from the factory but dust spots are sort of like the common cold, eventually you'll get them. The camera has a system to shake the sensor to dislodge dust particles, which mostly works. Sometimes you have to help it out a bit by using a blower and the Sensor Clean option buried in one of the menus. In rare cases, the dust is persistent enough to need more cleaning, either pro or some kind of DIY kit. My sensor has a spot like that now. Don't do it yourself without further research.

The sensor shaking routine can be set to run each time the camera turns on, or on demand. I would try that a few times. That's covered on page 260 of the manual, or just go to [Set-up 3] [Dust Removal]. Page 261 of the manual covers cleaning with a blower, and all the warnings.

One reason why processing software has spot removal is because these spots are a typical problem.
02-05-2013, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Clean your sensor and the back of your lenses.

Now regarding WR ... if is extremely light rain, it shouldn't affect the camera at all. 1-2 drops is not a big thing - these cameras are not that sensitive.
Just don't swap lenses in those conditions and with first occasion, clean the camera.
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #11

I highly recommend going to Copper Hill Images and reading through their wonderfully complete information on cleaning and maintaining lenses and camera sensors. Their products are superb and their instructions complete and easy to follow.
02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys I have a blower i bought, , I will give it a try and let u know how it goes.
02-05-2013, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
thanks guys I have a blower i bought, , I will give it a try and let u know how it goes.
Hold the camera pointing down, make sure that the blower is clean FIRST by blowing onto white paper. If there are ANY specs do not use the blower. Good luck.
02-05-2013, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
She's clean!! Thank you all sooo much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I was pretty freaked out for a moment.... All is well. I woke up at 5 a.m. to get a good sunrise over the ocean pic, sadly it was completely overcast. However the overcast sky led me to find the dust. i know officially know how to clean my camera a little bit.
Thanks again!
Specta
02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spectamaniac Quote
She's clean!! Thank you all sooo much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I was pretty freaked out for a moment.... All is well. I woke up at 5 a.m. to get a good sunrise over the ocean pic, sadly it was completely overcast. However the overcast sky led me to find the dust. i know officially know how to clean my camera a little bit.
Thanks again!
Specta
Glad it worked out for you. Did you set your camera to clean itself each time you turn it on/off?