Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
k100d Power Problem, Lens. no idea

I have no idea what this camera is doing a K100D. It is owned by an aunt and she has maybe used it for under 1500 shots.

All of a sudden when turned on, nothing. The display on top of the camera will function. You can not access the menu or take a picture.

Now open the battery door and close it and turn the camera on and everything is fine, works as expected. No problem.

New batteries did not help, She sent it to me to look at and all I did was put batteries and a memory card, format the card and slapped on one of my lenses and shot away. Everything looked good to go. I shipped it back and now it is acting strange all over again.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for anything that can be tried or looked at etc......

dave

02-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a K100D Super, and owned 2 other AA battery-using Pentax bodies.

It may still have another problem, but first do this: Use only Energizer Ultimate Lithiums or Sanyo Eneloops. This was more of an issue on the K-x, but it's a good idea on the K100D as well.

As I said, it sounds like there could still be another problem, but by spending about $10 on the Lithiums you can eliminate that possibility. If it still acts weird you may need to send it in. Make sure you are using better quality memory cards as well (such as genuine SanDisk).

I think most Pentaxians started to do this a few years ago, so now it's easy to forget there was ever a problem.

Last edited by DSims; 02-05-2013 at 03:36 PM.
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What batteries are you using? The K100D (sometimes) doesn't play well with standard alkaline batteries. I've been using the rechargeable Eneloops for years without issue.
02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

I can confirm the Eneloops work well with K100D.

02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I just scored an immaculate and cheap K100D. It misbehaved as you described until I got the eneloops in it
02-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Inactive Account

My kD100 started malfunctioning yesterday. Same problem. I turned it on and the battery indicator started flashing. The batteries were freshly charged. I tried another set and it showed that they were low and would switch from low to empty, back and forth. I tested the batteries with my battery tester and they are fine. I.ve used the same batteries in the past with no problems so, its not the batteries. This morning it shows the batteries as depleted. So my guess is that it may be a firmware malfunction or the power monitoring circuit is malfunctoning.
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Can you try differant batteries just in case ?
I tried NiMH which were good in mine but got issues.
With the Eneloops no issues

02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Problem solved.

Okay, I found out that it was the batteries after all. I charged another set, tried them and it works fine. I've had trouble with batteries before especially when using a quick charger. So from now on I'll be using a slow charger as I was doing before. Thanks!
02-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Love it when I'm right, second time ever !
02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Update: problem not solved

I shot with the newly recharged batteries all evening without a problem. Today, I set up the tripod to take a shot of a painting that I just completed. Turned on the camera, has the same problem as before. It tells me that the batteries are depleted. I checked the batteries with a tester and they checked out fine. So, I took them out and put them into an old Olympus. They work fine and they are not depleted. I think my original assessment was correct. It's time for a new camera. I think the K-30 will work fine but, then again, I'm a little concerned about getting another Pentax.

Last edited by Gary; 02-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
02-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Bugger
Don't give up on Pentax. All brands have issues
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Bugger
Don't give up on Pentax. All brands have issues
I realize that, I'm just a little frustrated. I've researched the other brands and the K-30 seems like a good value. Since I have a few Pentax lenses, it makes more sense to stick with Pentax. Thanks!
02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Quote
I realize that, I'm just a little frustrated. I've researched the other brands and the K-30 seems like a good value. Since I have a few Pentax lenses, it makes more sense to stick with Pentax. Thanks!
I have an *ISTDl which sometimes gives a similar problem, working the on/off switch a few times seems to fix it.

Tuggie76
02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I have an *ISTDl which sometimes gives a similar problem, working the on/off switch a few times seems to fix it.

Tuggie76
That's what mine does but, the best I can get is a half depleted indicator. I might try reloading the firmware to see if that makes a difference. In the meantime I'll wait for my new K-30 to arrive.