Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Cleaning K-x CMOS

I'm attempting to remove dust from my K-x CMOS sensor. I've followed the instructions in my manual. First, I shook the Sensor - no luck. Then I did a dust detection and it worked really well - lots of dust specks. Then I attempted to remove the dust with a blower. I shut the camera off. I removed the lens. I turned the camera on. I selected sensor cleaning from the proper menu. I used my four-way controller to select mirror up. I received the message "Not enough battery power remaining to clean sensor". I then purchased and installed a new set of lithium batteries - same thing. I then purchased and installed another new set of lithium batteries - same thing. I changed my battery settings from auto detect to lithium - same thing. I reset my battery settings - same thing. This is getting really frustrating. The manual recommended that the AC power adapter be used when cleaning the sensor but, I'd just as soon not purchase that to clean my CMOS sensor.

I did notice that my power indicator on the info screen is indicating full prior to attempting a dust removal and pretty much empty after an attempt. I turn the camera off and back on and it again indicates full. Tried this repeatedly - same thing every time. Any thoughts?

I

02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F*** the battery indicator. Set the camera to Manual mode, put it into Bulb, and keep the shutter open by hand (be careful not to close it while blowing!!)
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mirror up function is pretty fussy on battery voltage. I have seen this message when a battery is indicating as full.
On the other hand I have not seen this with new Lithium batteries.

The fact that the voltage drops when camera is working makes me suspect the battery contacts on the camera - either that or a fault / calibration problem with the camera :-o

I would try cleaning the camera battery contacts (top and bottom) with an eraser (bottom ones can be cleaned with an eraser on the end of the pencil. After gently rubbing the contacts you will need to wipe them with a dry cloth to remove any excess rubber lying around. I have used this technique successfully with many bits of equipment in the past.

Good luck!
02-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey thanks guys. I got it to work. As it turns out if you use the batteries to do a dust alert followed by a sensor cleaning the dust alert takes enough out of the batteries to make the battery voltage sensor thinks your batteries aren't strong enough to do the job. I let the camera sit for a couple hours then tried the mirror up with no preceding dust alert and up came the mirror. Just for fun I let the camera sit for another hour and tried it again with a dust alert first and it won't come up. Thanks for your suggestions.