Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD Card won't Read/Write in Camera

First of all I have lots of SD cards, but I have one that when I put it into the K 5 and my K10D the camera's won't read it or write to it. Can't format it either. If I put the card into my card reader on the computer it reads fine. I have formatted it using my mac and using my pc and still the camera can't read it. All of my other cards work fine. I'm using the card now in a memory stick and it works fine for that purpose but not for the camera. The card is a lexar 8gb Platinum II

Any suggestions?

02-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two possibilities come to mind:
a) Have you tried formatting it in camera?
b) Check to be sure the write protect tab is no being moved when inserted into the camera. It doesn't take much for it to move to where it won't read. Perhaps the card reader is more forgiving in this respect.

Good luck.
02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Another thing to consider, and this may not apply to this particular card, but SD cards break relatively easily. It is relatively easy to permanently damage an SD card even in the absence of abuse. Sometimes they just die. So if your other cards work, considering tossing out the bad one and moving on.
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Two possibilities come to mind:
a) Have you tried formatting it in camera?
b) Check to be sure the write protect tab is no being moved when inserted into the camera. It doesn't take much for it to move to where it won't read. Perhaps the card reader is more forgiving in this respect.

Good luck.
Won't format in the camera, but formats in the computer and works well in the computer. That's why I'm using it in my memory stick. Just won't work in the camera.