Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #1

ME Super Shutter not working

I just exhumed my mom's old ME Super from our attic for my photo 1 class, but even after replacing the batteries (plus side down) and cleaning the terminals...I still cant get the shutter to work on Auto or M nor will the LED lights come on.. So....from this I figure the camera needs a good cleaning on the inside...is there any way to do this myself??

02-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Batteries should have + toward top of camera.
If all leds fail to come on, move to "125X" which is a mechanical shutter. Advance film winder and check if shutter actuates.
02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure the shutter is cocked all the way.. I've had one instance where I thought it was cocked all the way, and the lever returned, the camera would not fire and I couldnt figure out why.... turns out the shutter was not fully cocked. Just throwing out suggestions..
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you see through the finder?

02-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
I can see through the finder (the mirror isn't stuck)..I have set it to 125x and with the back open I can see the shutter physically open and close, but it does not appear to open at all when set on auto or manual...I've tried it on a bright wall and in a dark area...leads me to believe the problem is internal since I dont have any LED's and new batteries?
02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
I don't have any film in the camera though....could that be a reason why I can't get the lights to turn on / the shutter to open in Auto or M?
02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

negative

02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

if you set the main dial to 125, will it fire?
02-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
It fires every time when cocked, but the shutter will only open on 125.
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well the camera may be mechanically OK, but Oh-Oh, Electrical problem, I hope Mystery_Onion comes on for a comment.
02-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
You and me both!
02-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Jon Quote
I can see through the finder (the mirror isn't stuck)..I have set it to 125x and with the back open I can see the shutter physically open and close, but it does not appear to open at all when set on auto or manual...I've tried it on a bright wall and in a dark area...leads me to believe the problem is internal since I dont have any LED's and new batteries?
Hi everyone.

Sorry to be lazy about poking around Pentax Jon.

Firstly... if there were old batteries installed prior to you installing new ones, give the chamber a good rub down with an eraser or a "Magic Eraser" to knock off any fine/thin oxidation that occurs when certain button batteries decay. If the old batteries had burst, then it is a bigger clean up.

Also, what was the atmosphere of the attic? Heat and moisture can send a camera into a comma.

is there any way to do this myself??
Yes, but first thing is first.
02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
I took a cloth to the chamber but the magic eraser is probably more effective. Needless to say the attic isn't very insulated, its hot and humid in the summer but in the winter the air is cold and thin.
02-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I took a cloth to the chamber but the magic eraser is probably more effective. Needless to say the attic isn't very insulated, its hot and humid in the summer but in the winter the air is cold and thin.
You didn't mention is there were batteries in the chamber when it was in the attic, but it is not too critical.

If you have checked and cleaned the battery chamber as much as possible, try the following.

Hold down the selector dial when positioned on the Manual mode and look through the viewfinder and wiggle the button and selector. Any glimmer?

Select auto and do the same. Anything?

Select auto and set the self-timer lever located frontward under the name ME super. Push it down and press the release to see if any life. The press arm inside pushes a little deeper than the release button.

A quick check list...based on common issues I've run across.

Condition of selector: The dial should be level and tight against the top deck of the camera and turn positively from LOCK-AUTO-Manual-125X-B and back with not wobble or hang ups. In some samples the spanner ring that holds the selector assembly will become loose to the point where it is not operating the contacts underneath.

Winding/Advance Lever: The ability to cycle, to have it do a full stroke and then not allow another until the shutter is tripped. Can it also be left in the sticking out or ready position without it being loose. There is a spring arm that allows it to hang out like that. If it flops around, then the spring arm is broken and a piece of metal is flopping around inside.

Mirror foam: Standing out from the rim of the focusing window within and above the mirror is a lip of black foam that acts as a light seal and shock cushion for the mirrors travel. It should be a springy soft foam and not a mushy gooey mess. Easy to note if it leaves bits of itself on the mirror or observable from the viewfinder. The worse the decay of foam, the greater the chance of things getting jammed inside.
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #15

Original Poster
MysteryOnion, Thank you for your advice!

I didn't have a magic eraser so I used some rubbing alcohol to clean the battery chamber and SUCCESS!!! The LED lights come on, I can manually select my shutter speed, and the light meter appears to work as well! Shooting outside with a shutter speed of 250, the light meter said f11 was the right aperture.

Thanks all for the help! Such a simple fix, can't believe I didn't try rubbing alcohol before...