Pentax Hoya or Pentax Ricoh

What is the difference between the two brands

02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpaulb Quote
Hoya used to own Pentax's imaging division, now Ricoh owns them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The biggest difference is that Hoya had no interest in Pentax Imaging division. They acquired it as part of the medical division purchase, which was their real interest. From the start they tried to farm out Pentax Imaging to a partner (Samsung initially) or an outright buyer. They attempted to maximize profits, with little regard to the future of the brand. Ricoh was the eventual buyer after Samsung bailed. Ricoh intentionally bought Pentax with the intent of growing the camera business. That should be good for Pentax users.
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoya - waiting waiting waiting
Ricoh - waiting waiting waiting but more friendly

02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there a difference in quality?
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

no real quality difference. The hoya cameras are still top quality. The only thing I can think of that has changed quality is the fixed SDM for the DA* lenses that is apparently less prone to failure.
02-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I hope so. It's too soon to tell.

02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
The reason I am asking is that I saw 2 K5's one Pentax Hoya & the other Pentax Ricoh and was wondering if there was a favoured one. Centuries ago I bought a K1000 everyone has advised me to only do so it it was made in Japan and not in (I think) china.
02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only difference so far is the sticker on the bottom of the camera.
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to what Audiobomber said.

I'd even go so far as to say Hoya's Pentax Imaging USA was a medical imaging company that only grudgingly admitted to a side line of cameras that they didn't want to be bothered with. Before Hoya, I saw actual advertising for the K100D in public places. Afterwards, nada, and they seemed determined to discourage sales as much as possible. In one of the few brick-and-mortar camera stores that still know what a Pentax was, the staff expressed frustration in trying to get product to sell. Ricoh is at least making the right noises. I really hope Pentax Ricoh blooms, no matter how long it takes.

On the other hand, with the lack of adult supervision from Hoya, Pentax did give us the superb K-5, plus crazy WTH stuff like the Stormtrooper K2000, pink K-xes and K-rs, and the much hated/loved K-01.
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The reason I am asking is that I saw 2 K5's one Pentax Hoya & the other Pentax Ricoh and was wondering if there was a favoured one. Centuries ago I bought a K1000 everyone has advised me to only do so it it was made in Japan and not in (I think) china.
I'd favor the Pentax Ricoh one, but only because it's newer.
02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #12

back then there was different manufacturing plants, hence the get one from Japan. To my knowledge, they didn't move their plant in the acquisition, so it is the same people building the cameras, with the same equipment, just a different sticker on the bottom
02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
back then there was different manufacturing plants, hence the get one from Japan. To my knowledge, they didn't move their plant in the acquisition, so it is the same people building the cameras, with the same equipment, just a different sticker on the bottom
Still, quality assurance practices and company culture can differ radically, even with the same plant and personnel.
02-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #14

not disagreeing with you, but I don't think we saw many QC issues with our k10's, k20's etc. With the exception of the SDM issues and the K5 sensor staining, I really can't think of any wide spread quality problems. They may be better now, but I don't think there was enough of an issue before hand that could be used to quantify a change
02-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
not disagreeing with you, but I don't think we saw many QC issues with our k10's, k20's etc. With the exception of the SDM issues and the K5 sensor staining, I really can't think of any wide spread quality problems.
There was also K-5 misfocus in tungsten light, the lens change button that fell off and the uncontrollable shutter firing. The K-5 was easily the most problematic Pentax digital body, ever. I also had to return several lenses for AF issues. I attribute all this to Hoya trying to wring profits out of Pentax. I would not buy another K-5 for any amount of money, and I would not advise anyone else to buy one. I am absolutely thrilled that Ricoh bought the Pentax brand.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.