Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #1

k-5 firmware 1.14 become soft

after what i did last firmware update at my K-5, pictures become more soft are not the same sharp like before
anyone have the same problem?
can i pun back the old firmware? was 1.01 original firmware

02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm not having any focus/sharpness problems with the newest firmware.

Check your AF Adjustment for whatever lens to make sure it didn't get reset.
Check the lens to make sure there's not something on either the front or rear element causing it to be soft.

Try a shot on a tripod with Shake Reduction off so you know the camera won't move.
02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #3

I am not having any problems with the updated firmware, did you have any adjustments for lenses that may have been corrected in the new update?
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
focus is exactly where it should be, is not sharp, but not how was the before the firmware update, I tried this with 2 objectives very sharp, like tamron 28-75 2.8 and smc-a 50mm f1.7
I can put back old firmware??? i was very satisfied by old firmware

every settings on camera are the same before firmware, I look on my old pictures and I compared with some picture made after update and differences are very sensible

02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I understand you can't roll back firmware to earlier versions, but I think the point being made is whether previous fine AF adjustments or other settings - sharpening for example - were 'lost' during the upgrade and simply need re-doing?
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've also read elsewhere that it is advisable to reset the settings after the firmware update. I haven't done so and have been fine, but I've just been using one MF lens since the update and if I were to notice anything weird that is the first thing I would try.... Have you tried to reset your settings to default yet and then redo your preferences?
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #7

Do you shoot JPEG or RAW?

If you shoot JPEG make sure you check the Custom Image settings again to make sure the sharpness is not turned down.

I own both the lenses you say you tried and both of mine work fine on the camera. I had to set my Tamron 28-75 to -7 on the Focus Adjustment though because the lens itself had a focus issue. With my 50mm f/1.7 or my 1.4 Manual Focus a lot of times wide open at 1.7/1.4 they are soft. Especially since manually focusing with such a shallow depth of field is hard. Check the Diopter on the Viewfinder to make sure it's in the right position for your eye sight.

This firmware doesn't affect focus in such a way that it would be giving you soft images. You should 1st go through all the proper steps to redo your camera settings and then try to figure out what to do.
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Some people myself included have had to readjust their lens fine adjust settings on the K5, after the 1.14 update as they seem to be different afterwards. There is more examples in the DSLR, K5 forum.This is different from just reseting the camera and then putting your old lens adjustment numbers back in. All three of my DA limiteds required completely different adjustment settings. If that is the case for your situation as well, then it might explain the sharpness softening, as your old settings may now no longer be accurate.

02-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
I shot only in raw file.
every setting, about sharpness in camera do not affect raw files???

Last edited by giani; 02-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.
02-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Focus adjustment related camera settings such as Lens AF fine adjust, do indeed affect RAW files too.
02-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by giani Quote
I shot only in raw file.
every setting, about sharpness in camera do not affect raw files???
It deends on what software you use. If using the software supplied with the camera, then jpg setting will be used by raw conversion software, but not on all other RAW conversion software.

If you shoot jpg, are they soft too? If not, then the problem is probably not in the camera, but in the settings used by the RAW conversion software. It might be that the software do not recognize the camera with new firmware?
02-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have a BIG thank you for all people who helped me for this problem. After what I reset to default everything in camera and I remade all setting again, camera work fine now.
Is good to know for future firmware or for every update.
02-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #13

Glad to hear it Giani