Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

Official Pentax M42 mount availability

I plan on investing in M42 glass and both Adorama and B&H are backordered for the official pentax adapter. There are no specific restock dates.

Does anyone with experience here know how long it generally takes for them to restock the adapters?

02-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax Adapter K was discontinued last year. It is no longer even listed on a Pentax webpage. It was briefly available from the Pentax web store but disappeared when it sold out. Adorama and B&H haven't had stock in years.

eBay is you best bet. Try searching for misspelled listings, i.e. Ashai instead of Asahi.

They also turn up from time to time on shopgoodwill.com. Look for K-mount cameras with M42 lenses. There was a ME Super with several S-M-C Taks a few weeks ago.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-08-2013 at 04:28 PM.
02-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
I saw the Pentax Adapter B on both adorama and B&H though. Was only the Adapter K discontinued?
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Pentax Adapter K was discontinued last year. It is no longer even listed on a Pentax webpage. It was briefly available from the Pentax web store but disappeared when it sold out. Adorama and B&H haven't had stock in years.
Not quite true -- B&H unexpectedly had a new batch just a month ago or so. They did announce it was discontinued (before Ricoh took over), but then they had it again late 2012. They seem to have it for a few weeks once a year. (I bought one new from B&H around Dec 2011.) Would be nice if they just kept them in production or at least made a whole lot of them. Nevertheless, ebay is still your best bet at this point.

02-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iceshiel Quote
I saw the Pentax Adapter B on both adorama and B&H though. Was only the Adapter K discontinued?
Pentax Adapter K for 645 lenses is still available from Pentax. This makes sense because Pentax still makes 645 lenses. Pentax hasn't made a M42 lens in almost 40 years. Adapter K for 6x7 lenses isn't available from Pentax anymore either. But B&H has stock (2 - 3 weeks).

Pentax Adapter B is also called Pentax Mount Adapter K
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will probably be better off going to an actual store. A photography store here had a bunch of these, even though online I couldn't find them anywhere. The salesperson didn't even seem to know what they were. Don't expect Best Buy to have them, but ask a specialized store that also sells Pentax stuff.

Also, the official adapter is great, but many users here have good experiences with using third party adapters. Just remember that if you get a flanged one, you lose infinity focus. But if the lens has a narrow base, you might gain CiF.
02-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

Pentax Adapter B is the M42 to K mount adapter. B stands for bayonet.

Maybe Adam could ask Pentax what that status is of the adapter at CP+

02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Maybe Adam could ask Pentax what that status is of the adapter at CP+
Missed that one by a week

It wouldn't be a high priority item for Ricoh. It made sense to have an adaptor in 1975, in 2013 not so much. Ricoh is in the business of selling new lenses, not an adapter for lenses that are older than half the population of the US. There are probably more of these adapters sitting forgotten in closets and drawers than there are Pentax DSLRs.
02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

HI, Pentax Australia is still showing the B adapter on their web site, and seems to be available through their online shop, might be worth a try.
02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john1963 Quote
HI, Pentax Australia is still showing the B adapter on their web site, and seems to be available through their online shop, might be worth a try.
Will Pentax Australia ship internationally? Pentax USA won't.
02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are several dozen genuine Pentax adapters available on ebay if you search worldwide. Prices range from $35 - $65 (ridiculous @ $65) and there's one with 1 day 19 hours to go bid $13.50. Only look at the Genuine article.
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B&H is showing them currently back ordered. That's better than when I had to pay more than that for a used one 3 years ago when they were not making them.
02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
B&H is showing them currently back ordered. That's better than when I had to pay more than that for a used one 3 years ago when they were not making them.
Means nothing. It will show that possibly for the rest of time...
02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Means nothing. It will show that possibly for the rest of time...
True, but they didn't even list them when I was looking three years ago.
02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Missed that one by a week

It wouldn't be a high priority item for Ricoh. It made sense to have an adaptor in 1975, in 2013 not so much. Ricoh is in the business of selling new lenses, not an adapter for lenses that are older than half the population of the US. There are probably more of these adapters sitting forgotten in closets and drawers than there are Pentax DSLRs.
If Ricoh wants only to sell new bodies and lenses they need only to abandon the K mount and stop-down metering support.

Seems to me it would be good advertising for Pentax Ricoh to say not only are we loyal to our customers but to our lenses.