Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-5II: troubles with a lens and the software installation

Few days ago I bought my new K-5 II.

Soon I discovered that the DA 16-50 mm lens didn't work with it, while it works perfectly with my K10D. The other lenses I use work properly with the new camera. Any idea of what the problem could be and if there is any solution? (I've just done also the software upgrading).

I also had problems with the installation of the Camera Utility on my Mac: I can't install it even clicking on the icons on the CD-ROM. Any help?

Thanks a lot

02-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Orlando Quote

Soon I discovered that the DA 16-50 mm lens didn't work with it, while it works perfectly with my K10D. The other lenses I use work properly with the new camera. Any idea of what the problem could be and if there is any solution? (I've just done also the software upgrading).

I also had problems with the installation of the Camera Utility on my Mac: I can't install it even clicking on the icons on the CD-ROM. Any help?

Thanks a lot
What do you mean it doesn't work? Does the camera refuse to take pictures, is the AF dead, etc?

If it's the AF and your K10D was using the screwdrive mechanism, it could be that the lens's SDM is broken.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Re 16-50, what Adam said
Re Camera Utility disk, I was unable to get it installed on my Mac Pro as well. I use LR4 instead.
02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot
Yes, it might help if you clarified, "the DA 16-50 lens did not work with it".

02-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Give us a better description of the problem(s). I have a K5IIs and the same lens, works just fine...
No help for the software as I use LR4 and CS5.
02-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks a lot
I am not sure why you are having difficulties with the Pentax Camera Utility. I have it ( version 4.30 ) installed on a 27" iMac Intel Core i5 ( late 2009 model, with version 10.8.2 OS software), and it does function, although sluggishly. You might want to check and see if your Mac software meets the minimum requirements for that version. I do, however, prefer to use LR 4 and PS CS6.
02-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What Adam said:
If your K10's firmware is older than 1.30, than unfortunately your 16-50's SDM has bit the dust :-(
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

If your K10D was using the screwdrive mechanism it ought to be rather loud. The SDM is close to soundless.

Last edited by Phii Mii; 02-09-2013 at 10:56 AM.
03-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Yes, it might help if you clarified, "the DA 16-50 lens did not work with it".

First, thanks everyone for the answers and sorry for not entering here since then (very busy time).

What I mean is that when I press half way the AF button the lens doesn't focus...
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you mean it doesn't work? Does the camera refuse to take pictures, is the AF dead, etc?

If it's the AF and your K10D was using the screwdrive mechanism, it could be that the lens's SDM is broken.
Most likely as Adam said, the SDM motor is dead or sluggish (when battery low). Your K10D likely uses the screw drive motor since it is available and working with the DA*16-50.
03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What a bad news!
Thanks anyway