Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

How to put firmware update on SD card?

AARRGGHH!

Ok, I'm not a computer guru at all but not a total idiot either (well, debatable...) so I need help.
Updating the firmware in my Kr. I understand how to format a SD card. I have downloaded
the firmware update to my computer (iMac). Next, instructions say: copy the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card. WHAT???!!!
How is that done? Do I drag the .bin file somewhere? What is the "root directory"? OMG, can they not make it easy for the 'common man'?

Lastly, after installing the new firmware it says if I want to use the same card to take pictures I will need to delete the firmware update from
the card. Do I do that my "formatting" the card again in-camera?

Last edited by New Englander; 02-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.
02-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just drag the .bin file onto the SD card icon. The .bin file should then be visible in the first window that comes up after clicking on the card icon on your desktop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just drag the .bin file onto the SD card icon. The .bin file should then be visible in the first window that comes up after clicking on the card icon on your desktop.
K. Will "give it a go".
Also, it says it will need to delete the firmware update from the card before taking pictures. Do I do that my 'formating the card' in-camera again?
02-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by New Englander Quote
AARRGGHH!

Ok, I'm not a computer guru at all but not a total idiot either (well, debatable...) so I need help.
Updating the firmware in my Kr. I understand how to format a SD card. I have downloaded
the firmware update to my computer (iMac). Next, instructions say: copy the .bin file to the root directory of the SD card. WHAT???!!!
How is that done? Do I drag the .bin file somewhere? What is the "root directory"? OMG, can they not make it easy for the 'common man'?

Lastly, after installing the new firmware it says if I want to use the same card to take pictures I will need to delete the firmware update from
the card. Do I do that my "formatting" the card again in-camera?
Copy the file using a file manager. I'm sure the Mac must have one :-)

Root directory - google is handy. It's the upper-most directory on a drive.

You can just delete the file, but many people routinely format the card in the camera after downloading files and before each shooting session.

02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You technically don't need to delete the bin file afterward, but it won't hurt!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: