Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX film winding problems

Relative n00b with this KX body and having a problem loading film. I load the film, advance the film and it takes it up initially. When I close the cover and advance to frame 1 the film starts slipping off the cogs, won't advance(you can here it and feel that it is slipping). I have in almost every case tried to rewind a bit so I can open the cover and re install but of course I lose the leader. The take up spool "looks" okay, the pressure plate(?) seems okay in that I can feel the tension. Is there some trick like trimming the leader first? Any suggestions?

02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You are inserting the leader into the take up reel slot until it is firmly seated and winding the film across until both the upper and lower perforations are on the teeth of the guide?

I could show you how to load the camera or diagnose a problem with the body in a couple of seconds in person, but describing it is more difficult. You might want to sacrifice one roll of film to practice loading and rewind the cartridge by hand outside the body between attempts so you don't have to worry about losing the leader.
02-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It READS as if you aren't making enough "dead" clicks before you close the door - i.e. not winding enough film onto the take up spool. The film should completely, or nearly conmpletely, loop over itself (reversed) on the take up spool to maintain tension on the sprockets. Once you close the door and advance the film until 1 it should stay tight on the spool.

On a KX the film rewind knob turns counter-clockwise when you advance the film with the rapid-wind lever, indicating film is advancing. The K bodies are a bit harder than the M and later bodies to load. The take-up spool was changed so that there are multiple slots, not just the 1, and the film leader bends 90 degrees to keep from slipping out.

Here is a very nice pdf of the KX manual from Pentax-Manuals to see. The Password is Pentax. Film Loading pictures are on Page 10 of the manual.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Steinback Thanks, I'll start tonight with more practice
@monochrome, thanks for thie link and info, printing it off now

Last edited by Franky2step; 02-11-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: additional thanks yous
02-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
@Steinback Thanks, I'll start tonight with more practice
@monochrome, thanks for thie link and info, printing it off now
Good Luck! KX is my favorite!!
02-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had the same problem myself with the KX, sometimes I'll even get two or three shots into the roll before it happens. Bascially I think each time it's happened, I've not inserted the leader far enough into the take-up spool. You've REALLY gotta cram it down in there. I find that if I pull a little bit extra film out of the canister and come at the take-up spool from a steeper angle, almost perpendicular to the film plane, I can usually get it to seat properly. Then I maintain a little tension on the film with my left hand as I advance it with my right to make sure that there's no slack on the spool when I close the door.
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a roll of Fuji 800 in the camera now that is unusually tight to wind.
I have not seen this before, I hope it is an isolated case.
It is freeing up as it is now on exp #18