Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Olympus to Pentax - change over or not?

Hi,

I have been using Olypmus 4/3 for some years now. I've been using the e-520 for underwater photography, and the E-3 for everything else. The future isn't looking great for 4/3 users as Olympus is focusing only on m4/3 these days, but without a noted drop in lens-prices (avaliability is the only thing that has dropped). I also find myself in need of a housing that gives me less noise on higher ISO.

These days, some shops are running great offers on the K-30, and I wondered if there are anyone who have made the transfer who has got some feedback to give? I realize that I will notice a great reduction in controll going from the E-3 to something like the K-30, but I was somewhat hoping I could convince myself I'd appreciated the relative simplicity of it.

Any input is appreciated

Regards

T

02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used an E-500 for quite awhile, especially for my flower and macro photography. I bought it solely for the Kodak sensor, which was wonderful for the type of shooting I did. I find the layout of the Pentax bodies more user friendly and of course the ISO performance of the K-30 would be way better (understatement) than my old E-500. I am not sure how the E-3 performs at ISO 3200 but it's probably not as good as the K-30. Those old OM lenses sure are spectacular though.
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I switched form Oly to Pentax and am very happy with my choice but sometimes wished I would of went with Nikon, Im sure I will get a lot of hate for this statement..
02-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I used to shoot the E-410, then the E-620, and then the E-30. While very good cameras, IMO they can't hold a candle to the K-30.

02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I switched form Oly to Pentax and am very happy with my choice but sometimes wished I would of went with Nikon, Im sure I will get a lot of hate for this statement..
How dare you! HATE HATE HATE... Nothing wrong with using 2 systems as long as one is not Canon!
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

What "great reduction in control" do you expect? The K30 has 2 control wheels. I'm not familiar with the Olympus control set so I'm curious
02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For real underwater shooting (requiring a housing), the housing is a huge factor. Since Pentax isn't up there in popularity, housing choices may be limited.

02-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
This is unbelievable! how dare you? I'm so angry and full of hate now!
02-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tokrika Quote
Hi,

I have been using Olypmus 4/3 for some years now. I've been using the e-520 for underwater photography, and the E-3 for everything else. The future isn't looking great for 4/3 users as Olympus is focusing only on m4/3 these days, but without a noted drop in lens-prices (avaliability is the only thing that has dropped). I also find myself in need of a housing that gives me less noise on higher ISO.

These days, some shops are running great offers on the K-30, and I wondered if there are anyone who have made the transfer who has got some feedback to give? I realize that I will notice a great reduction in controll going from the E-3 to something like the K-30, but I was somewhat hoping I could convince myself I'd appreciated the relative simplicity of it.

Any input is appreciated

Regards

T
I love Olys, but the K-30 would be a better camera from every aspect. I'd say the same in comparison to the E-5 too. I don't think you would be giving up much control, if any at all. The question is how much of your existing gear are you willing to sell off and how much can you get for it? Zuiko glass ain't cheap and that had to be quite an investment.
02-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

I had an Olympus e410 I loved that thing never thought about replacing it till I dunked it in a fish tank. Then I started thinking I could use an up grade. I went with the k30 the lay out of the buttons and menu was great a very easy switch over. This k30 is amazing takes awesome photos in just about any condition. I miss my Olympus lens. That thing was great glass the auto focus was great. I find myself using manual focus more with the pentax. Maybe I am just not use to it yet.

I too wanted to get another Olympus but they did not have a selection for dslr. So I was going to get the d5100 then found the k30 and with all it had to offer and at a good price I was sold and so happy I got it.
02-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
For real underwater shooting (requiring a housing), the housing is a huge factor. Since Pentax isn't up there in popularity, housing choices may be limited.
Yeah, this is why my other camera is an Olympus Point & Shoot. Aside from the go-anywhere benefits of a camera that fits in a shirt pocket, Olympus has done an amazing job of supplying reasonably priced OEM pressure-rated housings for its P&S cameras. Granted, many of these housings are not available from the Olympus U.S. distributors, but they can be had from sellers in Japan and China. I'd love to take my Pentax DSLR with me beneath the waves, but the thought of paying 3-4 times the cost of my camera for a housing leaves my wallet weeping.

For those of you who have no experience with scuba diving, the generally accepted limit for recreational dives is approximately 40 meters (or very roughly, 130 feet). At that depth a brand new tennis ball will be crushed flat. Most scuba divers look with scorn at anything labeled "waterproof" unless the manufacturer also specifies what they mean by that. None of Pentax's cameras are suitable for scuba diving without purchasing a 3rd party pressure rated case, and those cases are EXPENSIVE.
02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Tokrika Quote
Olympus to Pentax - change over or not?
Why choose, run both systems, different needs different cameras.
02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Why choose, run both systems, different needs different cameras.
Would if I could. Can't afford to go for a new system without selling the old I like the cheap relatively cheap WR options, and instead of lugging around bags of equipment, I find myself increasingly stripping down the cameras to make em small and light enough to do pictures of skiing and snowboarding. With the added benefits of acessible (cheap to the point of disposable) wide-angle glass, I figured I could try for more and risk less
02-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm a long time Oly user from the OM-1 to the E500, E510, E1, E3 and recently sold my Pen EP3 for my Pentax K-30.

I can tell you one thing as a long time Oly digital user. I miss the Olympus colors. I love that 6400 is usable for print and 12800 is fine for wen use if metering is spot on.

The K-30 has a loud shutter and is larger and the Pen is a better street photography camera. As I do ren faires I wanted a weather sealed system and access to the old Pentax manual lenses as well as an affordable weather sealed system.

The both have their pro's and I will most likely get another pen as a backup or an OMD EM5 in a few years. However I am quite enjoying my K-30.

I cleaned my old E-1 and E-3 in the sink after a ren faire with running water and the 12-60 on it.

Once I can figure out the control wheels as I want the shutter speed control on the thumb wheel I'd prefer this over my old Nikon D3 and Canon 5D mkII

Sincerely,
Cait
02-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by CutlassCait Quote
I miss the Olympus colors.
Are you shooting jpeg or RAW? If you are looking at jpeg images as produced within your Pentax camera, did you know you can adjust the default rendition of jpeg images? More or less contrast, more or less saturation, warmer or cooler - it is up to you.

So many of us in this Forum shoot RAW and make our adjustments in post-processing that you don't see many posts that deal with the tools available for tweaking the camera's built-in jpeg output.