Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod newbie

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

god how many.

right im a newbie to dslr photography ive got a k30 with 18-55 and 70-300mm lens so far.

now i need a tripod but their are so many its getting a little confusing.
i dont want to spend the earth i just want a general purpose tripod i can take with me or use at home.

quite like macro and i do quite alot of shows i.e air, car shows throughout the year.

so as i joined up i thought i would ask you guys and gals what your using and what you would recommend.

going race retro in to weeks so need one by then.

please your guidance is needed.?

02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Firstly, what's your budget? Cheap tripods tend to be a bit of a waste of time, as are cheap heads. Second hand can be a good way to go if your budget's low. As a rough rule of thumb, go for fewer sections as that tends to lead to steadier legs, lightweight tripods aren't as stable as heavier ones, and the head is as important as the legs. This guide might help you a bit. Best tripods and camera supports: 15 tested | News | TechRadar
02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What Wildweasel said is spot on in most cases. What is also true is that in the beginning sometimes less expensive tripods are good enough.

If you are into macro than I would suggest that a tripod that has a center column that goes from vertical to horizontal will be a huge plus. I just got my first tripod that has that feature (Manfrotto 055XPROB) and it has made Macro shots a lot easier than my older Dolica tripod. Don't be afraid of used. I got my new (to me) Manfrotto from Amazon Warehouse and instead of $189 it was $61 out the door - and it had a total of 1 scratch on a leg.
02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

I use a Sirui tripod. I can't remember the model number but it offered the best balance of affordability and quality to me.

When I first bought the tripod I went with an aluminum tripod because I wanted to save money. Now I actually regret not getting the carbon fibre version. Travelling with a heavy tripod is painful and I don't mind paying a premium for lighter equipment. This is something you might want to think about.

02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Like Docrwm said, Dolica makes a good, cheap tripod. I have a version of it that has served me well. It would be nice to do macro with the center horizontal though.

Can I ask what your plan for a using tripod at a car show is? At a car show, and particularly air shows, I think a monopod is your best bet.
02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have to agree with what is said above. A good tripod is not cheap new. So get one second hand if you do not have the money to spend. Also some of the cheaper ones, are very good indeed, but you really need to know which one to get then. As most will not be stable.

I have the Manfrotto 055 basic. Don't let the name fool you, it says basic, only because it doesn't have lot of features. But it is a very good tripod, have had it for 12 years ort so,and it is still going strong. The only downside can be that it is very heavy. But for me it is a plus, as it is less likely to be blown over by wind while doing surf photography.
But I also have lighter tripods, which are very good for traveling ( a redged and a vanguard)
02-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A very good tripod for a decent price:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321033369665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...ht_5805wt_1178

I have recently ordered one and waiting for it to arrive ...

02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
this looks a good bet i was gonna get a monopod too but this looks like it will solve both issues.
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wozfromcov Quote
this looks a good bet i was gonna get a monopod too but this looks like it will solve both issues.
That was one of the reasons I went for it - plus the fact that is carbon fiber (light and strong).
02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
the car shows might wanna dabble in a bit od hdr so want the camera steady plus genrally to get better shots.
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wozfromcov Quote
the car shows might wanna dabble in a bit od hdr so want the camera steady plus genrally to get better shots.
Be careful to read the rules at shows, most indoor shows do not allow tripods except in designated areas (if at all) or by credentialed press. That is why a Monopod can be your friend. My favorite Monopod is a convertable one that does a weak tripod too - the Versapod II. At $25 its a steal IMHO.
Hakuba (but is marketed under other names too) VersiPod 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
a friend did recommend this.
Manfrotto 732CY-A3RC1 Carbon Fibre tripod + Head kit. can get it for £99
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not much to add, you have received lots of good advice.

Keep in mind that a good tripod will outlast multiple cameras. Buy a good one and it will last you 20 years and more. Not many digital cameras will do that. Buy a cheap one and you will replace it every few years, where is the economy in that? Also, do you really want to put $1,000 worth of camera gear on a cheap tripod?

Go used if you have to but please don't skimp on a tripod. A good one is a pleasure to use and improves your photography, a cheap one is a pain and simply doesn't get used.

Manfrotto 055 legs are very good. The 'Pro' version has a center column that extends horizontally for macro. Otherwise they are the same. Other brands have similar features and it can get confusing. Just don't go for that 'deal' until you check it out thoroughly. A good tripod is an investment, and is not cheap.
02-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What is it they say? "The best tripod is the one you have with you." Just food for thought. Light travel tripods might not be quite as steady as the heavy more pro ones, but if you didn't bring it because it's too heavy and bulky and you hate carrying it around, it doesn't do you much good. There are lots of good recommendations above. Carbon fiber might be a good bet. Get one you can hang your bag from the center column to provide extra stability.
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
Giotto MTL 9361B could be the one for me.