Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #16

That's sensible - as they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :-)

02-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whew, glad it worked out for you. I think firmware updates are pretty scary, but I haven't seen any threads on this forum about a firmware update messing someone's camera up.
02-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

This will happen when the update routine cannot find the file it wants to read from, in other words the update file cannot be found or it cannot be read because it is corrupted. You most likely have not followed the instructions to the letter. If you have not copied the file onto the SD Card's root directory the update process cannot find it. The update process starts off correctly by saying the update has commenced and then it looks for the file. It does not look for the file first and then informs you the update in in progress because once it is in progress it cannot go back. By saying update in progress (or any such wording) it is really saying the upgrade has started an I will now look for the update file. It would be nice if it would say "file not found".

If you follow instruction correctly the update process is pretty robust and very very easy. The worst that can happen is if you loose battery juice or inadvertently turn off the camera. Apart from this not much can go wrong.

Greetings
02-14-2013, 04:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The update file ends ".bin" .

If you transferred the ".exe" (k30_ver102.exe) file to the SD card you will need to extract the .bin file by clicking the .exe file before you copy it to the card. The file extracts itself on your computer, then you copy the .bin file to the card.

02-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If Pentax firmware works like Canon firmware (I'm reasonably certain with all cameras, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, & etc., choosing firmware update from the camera menu only sets the boot flag on the card -- if the camera finds a usable autoexec.bin file in the root directory of the card, the camera will boot from the card instead of from internal memory.

Common mistakes:

1 failing to extract files from archive before copying to card (i.e. copying archive file to card)
2 failing to extract files from archive before copying to card (i.e. extracting archive files directly to card instead of to a directory that gets copied to card)
3 failing to format card in camera before removing it & using card reader to copy files from archive to card

I made the last two mistakes ops:
02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
02-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Whew, glad it worked out for you. I think firmware updates are pretty scary, but I haven't seen any threads on this forum about a firmware update messing someone's camera up.
Did hose my K-7.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/181633-failed-fw-update.html

02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sorry man