Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problem with Hoya 28mm tight K mount

I have a Hoya 28mm f/2.8 off ebay, like the one listed in the 3rd party lens reviews. However, the K mount is VERY tight. Initially I thought it would not fit onto my K-r but after trying it on an old Chinon camera I found that it is just very tight.

I have compared it with my other Pentax K mount lenses and also with some M42 to K mount adaptors and cannot see any obvious difference.
I also checked the dimensions as best I could using digital calipers, but again I can't find any significant difference from my other lenses ?

Has anyone else had a similar problem with this or ANY other lens ?
If so, I would be very grateful to hear if you fixed it ?

I have not yet tried 'blueing' it out but perhaps that is the next step ?

HELP !
Peter

02-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only lens I have had that I considered 'tight' is my DA 40mm ltd. It is noticeably harder to mount than other lenses but I just assumed that was tighter tolerances.

In your case it may be a slightly bent mount, it would not have to be much, maybe not even noticeable. Blueing would be my next step.

One other possibility is that it is not really k-mount, I understand Nikon can be mounted on K-mount as a 'force fit'. I have never tried it, and it seems unlikely as you seem familiar with k-mount but just a thought.
02-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for the quick response, Jatrax.
The lens is for Pentax as it is stamped P/K on the flange.
I can't see any obvious distortion and when I contacted the previous owner he said it was tight on HIS Pentax as well.

I'll have to go out and buy some 'blue' !
Peter
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peedeecee Quote
I'll have to go out and buy some 'blue' !
Try looking it over carefully in bright light first, maybe you can see where it is binding by the scratches on the metal. I have used magic marker as 'blueing' in a pinch but be careful to clean everything after so nothing gets into the camera.

02-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The only lens I have had that I considered 'tight' is my DA 40mm ltd. It is noticeably harder to mount than other lenses but I just assumed that was tighter tolerances.

In your case it may be a slightly bent mount, it would not have to be much, maybe not even noticeable. Blueing would be my next step.

One other possibility is that it is not really k-mount, I understand Nikon can be mounted on K-mount as a 'force fit'. I have never tried it, and it seems unlikely as you seem familiar with k-mount but just a thought.
My DA 40/2.8 is also tighter than the rest of my lenses so I goes it's just tolerances.