Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Problem w/K-5 & wireless remote (not IR remote)

I am having trouble using a wireless remote with the K-5. The remote I have is Wireless Remote Control for Pentax K20D K200D K 7 K 5 | eBay which has a receiver that plugs into the cable release terminal and a transmitter. Sometimes the unit works and then stops. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Is there a setting you need to use to enable this function (the 4 way controller remote setting is for the front IR remote) It may just be that I need a better wireless remote. I would appreciate knowing what models have worked reliably. Thanks

02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless the unit itself is faulty, the problem could be that your K-5 is going to sleep and the transmitter does not wake it up properly.

Does it have two stops on the button that you can feel? if not, then it probably only has shutter, and the K-5 needs the intermediate position to wake up from sleep.

Actually it does appear to have this function, so it may just be faulty.

QuoteQuote:
How to Use?
With the shutter button on the remote control, you can do the followings:
Autofocus:
-Press it halfway to activates autofocus. (Indicated by Green LED)
Release Shutter:
-Press it all the way to release shutter and take pictures. (Indicated by Red LED)
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it plugs into the wired remote port then the settings in the menu are not needed except to change drive mode. That port over rides the shutter button.

Make sure you have good batteries. And double check the control wheels that set the channel used. I have had the wheel on my Cactus v5 just a smidge off and it caused problems even though it looked fine. You might also change to a different channel as you might be getting interference from something else.

Another possibility is the micro jack on the cable. Sometimes those cables are not quite to spec and fit a little loose. If so, they work intermittently. Try pushing the jack in fully, or putting a slight sideways strain on it for testing purposes. If that helps then it is the cable.

And one more thought if the camera is set to not trigger unless in focus, make sure that you are achieving a good focus lock. I had that problem when I was set up too close to the subject and no matter what I did the darn camera would not take a picture.