Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

K-5 Cracked Top LCD

The top LCD glass got cracked and the shards come off, and now I'm worried because I do a lot of outdoor shooting. WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Attached Images

02-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi SPO

I did exactly the same to mine in the identical spot. What you have broken is the cover over top of the LCD panel. Mine still worked fine but I had it repaired anyway. It was not inexpensive at $168.00 at Pentax Canada.
02-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
SPO

Original Poster
Is there a way to simply buy a replacement panel?

Last edited by SPO; 02-15-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Banned

Perhaps one of those plastic screen protector sheets trimmed to the size of the top panel would be enough to keep water out.

02-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SPO Quote
Is there a way to simply buy a replacement panel?
Here are the numbers for K7. As far as I know the K5 is same. Courtesy "Pentax hacks".

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
SPO

Original Poster
Al_Kahollick, I was gonna try that.
Ex Finn. You are incredible.
02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Hey SPO, let us know how it went, if you founf parts and all that! I just have the same issue. And I have no idea how it happened.
02-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
SPO

Original Poster
Well, I didn't buy the official part since I can't seem to find it, so I ended up going with Al_Kahollick's idea.
I bought the protectors off Ebay from here:

ACMAXX 3 0 Hard LCD Armor Protector Pentax K5 K 5 K5D D | eBay

Now, this came with protectors for both screens, so that's kinda nifty. The top screen isn't quite the right shape, but it's thick an made of poly carbonate, thus it won't break easily. So I used some tough scissors and cut the thinner end(right end) just bit along the silver colored edge.

NOW, on hindsite, I recommend using the old cracked screen like so:
1. Take the old screen and tape the bits in place after removing it(us a hair dryer to heat up the glue, then slowly and carefully remove it).
2. Put the old screen over the new screen protector.
3. Make the left edges meet.
4. Sharpie whatever edges on the screen protector are sticking out(thus making it bigger than the real screen)
5.Cut ONLY the sharpied bits

This will allow the screen protector to be the right size without any mistakes. Us good scissors, the poly carbonate(plastic basically) is soft enough for it.

Here is a picture of the results and the tools I used. I didn't do the sharpie part, but I should have.

Attached Images

02-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the tut. Will see what options I can get. Will probably go to a store tomorrow see if I can order the parts or if they have anything like this. I hope it's still weatherproof.
02-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
SPO

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by giu.behringer Quote
Thanks for the tut. Will see what options I can get. Will probably go to a store tomorrow see if I can order the parts or if they have anything like this. I hope it's still weatherproof.
Yeah, I'm gonna hope that it's still weatherproof. I think its a matter of how well sealed the screen window is to the camera. In the mean time, I messaged a seller on ebay who typically sells placement parts. He's got the main LCD window screen replacement and told me he'll do some research on the upper LCD window. I'll give an up date here if he finds somethin, that way, we'll have a real replacement screen.

Still, I don't think it's too bad to use the thick screen protector I have for an LCD window; I mean, it's plastic and won't crack like the glass material of the actual Pentax LCD window. It just needs a little cutting and it's fine. Maybe a little glue just to be safe too. Kinda of makes you wonder why Pentax didn't the LCD windows out of stronger materials. I mean c'mon, a magnesium ally body with weatherproofing should have durable LCD screen windows to make it more suitable for the out-doorsy aspect right?
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #11

Nice, let us know. That's useful info. Unfortunetly I live in Belgium, pretty difficult to find any spare-parts source. Even local ebay didnt return many choices. But I'll keep an eye for future reference. Bringing mine to the shop tomorrow for the warranty. But I'll get that cover ASAP to protect the new glass. Maybe I'll wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap.
02-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Wow, nice repair job, hope it works out for you.
02-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
SPO

Original Poster
Well, I got my update from the guy. Apparently, he knows where to order them, but is asking that I make an order through him, which brings me to wonder: Where is the main source? THUS, it is possible to find the actual seller.

Luckily for us, he gave the part names and numbers, with pricings:

Pentax K-5 TOP LCD WINDOW Part #77240.A302 = $12.00 each.

Pentax K-5 TOP LCD WINDOW ADHESIVE Part #77240.A303 = $4.00 each.

Just putting this info out, seems like this could be useful.

Oh, and this is the guy I was messaging:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/procamerarepair
If all else fails, he's on guy we might be able to order from.
02-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SPO Quote
Well, I got my update from the guy. Apparently, he knows where to order them, but is asking that I make an order through him, which brings me to wonder: Where is the main source? THUS, it is possible to find the actual seller.

Luckily for us, he gave the part names and numbers, with pricings:

Pentax K-5 TOP LCD WINDOW Part #77240.A302 = $12.00 each.

Pentax K-5 TOP LCD WINDOW ADHESIVE Part #77240.A303 = $4.00 each.

Just putting this info out, seems like this could be useful.

Oh, and this is the guy I was messaging:
eBay My World - procamerarepair
If all else fails, he's on guy we might be able to order from.
I know I have bought the rear LCD cover from Pentax USA. I have no problem with a guy being the middle man for you and taking care of all the details (part numbers, shipping), and making an honest dollar. If you call Pentax make sure they know its a K-5. As "A302" could be for K10D which will not fit. Its the part number thats most important and he may or may not have given you the Pentax part number. It could be his number. Either way for sure do it. Just clean up that old tape still sticking on your camera and put in the new double sided tape and cover on top. Will take you less time than putting a cover on.

Its one reason on even my brand new K-5 I wont put a rear LCD cover on it. It already has a cover for the LCD! If it gets really bad or something I will just order the parts (I hope) and replace it. As I said. Its just pre-shaped double sided tape and a cover. Do note both have thin covers that must be peeled off. Very easy to do, just a note.
12-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Just as a second (or 3rd, 4th, etc) testimonial for that LCD cover from ebay: Just received it to use as a protection... fits perfectly, seems sturdy, etc.