Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

K-5 just quit taking pictures

Okay I was out snapping pictures today when all of a sudden my K-5 just stopped taking pictures. The battery was at full charge, i took off the lens and tried a different lens, and made sure everything was seated properly. Turned the camera back on, and the LCD screen came on, I was able to view my last pictures, access the menu, the battery showed a full charge, so I point to a subject to capture the camera will focus properly, but when I click the shutter button it makes a sound like the mirror flips up but it won't take the picture, and the battery registers as depleted. I then turn off the camera, and turn it basck on and the battery is fully charged again, and I can again view oictures and access the menu, but as soon as I try to take another picture, the same thing happens again. I tried a different fully charged battery, but the same thing happens. Does anybody know what is going on with my camera? Help.

02-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the exact thing happen to me two weeks ago, right in the middle of a shoot. Extremely upsetting. No backup camera so I had to just close things down.

When I got back into the car I did everything I could think of, with no result except exactly what you describe. Maybe a little frustrated but dad always said if you want to fix something you have to get it's attention first. So I gave it a good solid wack on the grip with my palm, while it was turned off. Turned it back on and it has worked fine ever since. Still have my fingers crossed.

Another member here reported the same thing and he sent his in for service, reported it was something to do with the mirror getting stuck. Anyway YMMV but give it a wack (gently) and see what happens. I take no responsibility if you totally break it though, just reporting what I did.
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I had the exact thing happen to me two weeks ago, right in the middle of a shoot. Extremely upsetting. No backup camera so I had to just close things down.

When I got back into the car I did everything I could think of, with no result except exactly what you describe. Maybe a little frustrated but dad always said if you want to fix something you have to get it's attention first. So I gave it a good solid wack on the grip with my palm, while it was turned off. Turned it back on and it has worked fine ever since. Still have my fingers crossed.

Another member here reported the same thing and he sent his in for service, reported it was something to do with the mirror getting stuck. Anyway YMMV but give it a wack (gently) and see what happens. I take no responsibility if you totally break it though, just reporting what I did.
Well, jatrax: I thought what the heck I don't really have anything to lose, so I gave it a Whack. And to my surprise,IT WORKED. Must have been a stuck mirror or something, anyway Thanks for the advice, and next time something is out of whack, I'll just "Give it a whack"
Thank-you again.
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are most welcome, glad I could help. Wait until I tell my dad he helped fix a camera without even knowing about it.

02-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Same thing:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/163726-k-5-freezing-up-no-bigg...ml#post2081480
02-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes unfortunately this will likely re-occur with increasing frequency. Happened to mine, I eventually had to send it off for repair (new mirror motor) under warranty, which luckily only took a week.