Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New to DSLR !!! Pentax K-m.

I had my new Pentax K-m for couple of weeks and i been taken loads of pictures in different places different positions....but most of the time when i had to post a picture on-line i had to use Picasa to give more light to this pictures , now with my little digital camera i don`t have to use Picasa is it any solution to sort this on the camera i tried to change settings but is not working , hope the picture can help you guys to understand what i mean thanks to have look and hope i get some help from you . Regards Seif

original picture before using picasa

After using picasa 3

02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most Pentax cameras, in my experience, tend to under expose. This is done intentionally because usually an underexposure can be fixed in post processing but an over exposure that blows out the highlights cannot be fixed. Personally I think they are too conservative in this matter especially with modern software tools but that's another story.

Anyway, the solution is to add exposure compensation to the camera. I never had a k-m but there should be a +/- button somewhere. Press that and dial in maybe +2/3 stop check the exposure and adjust until you like the results. If the is no +/- button it might be in a menu somewhere.

On my k-5 I usually have 2/3 or 1 stop dialed in to get the exposure correct.
02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is simply underexposed. You can use the bright setting for the digital filter thing or just over expose it. The +/- button only allow to adjust in any mode other then M obviously. But it is indeed a +/- button that does it as i own a km.
02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Km camera and a K5. On the Km,

On the Km I always shoot with at least +0.5 exposure using the +/- button as it tends to generally underexpose. I think its a behavior inherent in the Km. With the K5, I usually do not need to do that.

If you are new to the whole dslr thing, the exposure compensation button is just behind the on/off button.

02-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Guys problem resolved now
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi everyone
i just bought a new Lens mainly for aircraft spotting, would love to know your experiences if anyone used the same one before , also some advices will be much appreciated regards Seif

03-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seifracing Quote
more light to this pictures
Glad you got it sorted now, all these guys were just to quick off the mark for me.

03-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

About your lens question, here on the forums there is a lens database of both Pentax and 3rd Party lenses (Such as your Sigma)

for instance here is the listing for that particular lens: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The link to the front page of the Lens Reviews is at the top of every page under 'Lenses' or through this hotlink Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
03-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

I would also say your revised image has a bit too much contrast and/or saturation ..the colors look harsh as a result.

It is a learning process though

IF you want the most leverage in editing your image, I'd recommend setting the camera to a RAW format (such as DNG extension) and using a program that converts RAW to JPG. You will be able to adjust exposure, detail, and colors much more than using typical JPG format.
03-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I would also say your revised image has a bit too much contrast and/or saturation ..the colors look harsh as a result.

It is a learning process though

IF you want the most leverage in editing your image, I'd recommend setting the camera to a RAW format (such as DNG extension) and using a program that converts RAW to JPG. You will be able to adjust exposure, detail, and colors much more than using typical JPG format.

I am going to try the settings you recommended me !!!
05-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi can anyone tell me how i can get the viewfinder on my Pentax K-M cleaned ???
Regards SEIF