Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

El Cheapo...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello....

Im trying to be frugal with my new hobby (well until I improve anyway lol)

I am in the market for a couple primes....and a nice zoom

I would LOVE to get some vintage lenses (I love vintage anything!) - and they can be had for cheap

Anyway,

I have been searching and researching....

I got some wonderful advice on these boards and decided to look for a 50mm and 35mm to start with

(I have a k-30)

I dont really know how to pick these out, if anyone would be willing to link me some suggestions it would help a WHOLE lot lol

Im worried I will go hog wild and end up with lenses that dont work with my camera. lol

Thanks in advance!!!

02-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
I do not mind manual focus either. thanks!!!
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
For example:

Asahi Pentax 50mm F1:2 PRIME lens

Would I need an adapter?
02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Or:

SMC-Pentax 50mm f1.7

02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Or even

50mm f1.7 Sears MC for Pentax

50mm f1.9 Auto Chinon for Pentax K

Pentax lens 5363080, SMC-M 50mm f/2 K-mount for 35mm SLR
02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you do not mind manual focus then your options are nearly unlimited and bewildering. To narrow things down a bit, decide if you want to stay with Pentax branded or don't care. I have chosen to stick with all Pentax (except my Sigma 50-500) so that narrows the choices.

Second, there are fully manual lenses and just manual focus lenses. The fully manual ones (Pentax K, and M series as well as all the M42 lenses) require manual exposure as well as manual focusing. They are cheaper for the same lens than more advanced but IMHO are a bit of a challenge for the inexperienced. The manual focus lenses (Pentax-A) are a little more expensive but operate exactly like your modern lenses with the exception of manual focus. And that is where I would suggest you start. If you want to explore more later, fine but a good Pentax-A 50mm is a good start.
Look here for the full range of Pentax-A lenses: Pentax A Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The 50mm comes in a number of variants, with the f/2 being the cheapest and the f/1.2 being the most expensive. I have an f/1.7 and f/1.4. If cost is an issue the f/2 is just fine, make sure you get a mint copy, there are lots of them around so be picky.

The two you mentioned are fully manual. Look for Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 or Pentax-A 50mm f/2
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you do not mind manual focus then your options are nearly unlimited and bewildering. To narrow things down a bit, decide if you want to stay with Pentax branded or don't care. I have chosen to stick with all Pentax (except my Sigma 50-500) so that narrows the choices.

Second, there are fully manual lenses and just manual focus lenses. The fully manual ones (Pentax K, and M series as well as all the M42 lenses) require manual exposure as well as manual focusing. They are cheaper for the same lens than more advanced but IMHO are a bit of a challenge for the inexperienced. The manual focus lenses (Pentax-A) are a little more expensive but operate exactly like your modern lenses with the exception of manual focus. And that is where I would suggest you start. If you want to explore more later, fine but a good Pentax-A 50mm is a good start.
Look here for the full range of Pentax-A lenses: Pentax A Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
The 50mm comes in a number of variants, with the f/2 being the cheapest and the f/1.2 being the most expensive. I have an f/1.7 and f/1.4. If cost is an issue the f/2 is just fine, make sure you get a mint copy, there are lots of them around so be picky.

The two you mentioned are fully manual. Look for Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 or Pentax-A 50mm f/2

I cannot thank you enough!!!!

I would like to stick with Pentax as I have a LOAD of respect for the brand.

I really appreciate you taking the time!

This Pentax community is AMAZING!

<3

02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax SMC Pentax A Auto 1 2 50mm K Mount Lens for DSLR SLR 0027075206977 | eBay
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might consider an SMC Pentax A 28mm lens instead of the 35mm - a bit more 'separation' from the 50mm. There's quite a few of the 28mm f2.8 A lenses out there - look for a nice clean copy and I think you'll be well pleased.

And, as mentioned above, the SMC Pentax 50mm f2 is actually a very good lens - it just doesn't get the respect it's faster bretheren get.
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I would like to stick with Pentax as I have a LOAD of respect for the brand.
They do make good stuff, but so do others. However, the resale value is usually higher on the Pentax brand lens for a given lens. Also, some of the other brands have slight quirks, Sigma for example some of the focus rings are backwards from Pentax. Makes it easier if you use all the same brand.
02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
You might consider an SMC Pentax A 28mm lens instead of the 35mm - a bit more 'separation' from the 50mm. There's quite a few of the 28mm f2.8 A lenses out there - look for a nice clean copy and I think you'll be well pleased.

And, as mentioned above, the SMC Pentax 50mm f2 is actually a very good lens - it just doesn't get the respect it's faster bretheren get.

Thank you!!!!
02-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
You might consider an SMC Pentax A 28mm lens instead of the 35mm - a bit more 'separation' from the 50mm. There's quite a few of the 28mm f2.8 A lenses out there
+1 for some reason the 35mm is a bit rare and goes for a fair amount of change. The 28mm is far easier to come by and quite reasonable.

And if you are interested I happen to have a Pentax-A 28mm for sale. PM me if you are interested.
02-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any suggestions for a good (affordable) macro? or am I better off with (are they called tubes?) to start off.....?

Thanks!!!
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
So if it says:

Pentax SMC-A 50mm f2.0

then I will only lose AF?
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disneybride Quote