Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

advice using macro SMC Pentax A 70-210 f/4

Long-time user of KX 35mm and just bought my first dslr (kx through keh) to get my feet wet before buying K5 (this is my goal). I put in the katzeye focus screen in the kx and have been using my old prime and zoon smc lens.

I just got a SMC Pentax A 70-210 f/4 for x-mas and want to use the macro feature. It doesn't seem intuitive to me.... Anyone have any advice? Is there a website with simple steps on using macro? Or a website with instruction manuals for these old lenses?

thanks.

02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure where you are stuck. If you want to put the lens into macro mode, you will notice the 70mm focal length painted on the lens is green, at this setting turn the focus ring to minimum focus stop at 1.2m (painted yellow) now turn the lens to the "macro" area with the green line. You cannot enter macro at any longer focal length, hence the colour code. Minimum focus (maximum magnification 1:4) now is about 12 inches and can be adjusted along the green line zone. If shooting hand held it can be easier to set the distance on the lens and use your body to move the camera into focus. You would also set your SR length at start up to 70mm for macro use ( 135mm setting probably best if you are using the full zoom range as a compromise) and set the aperture ring on the lens to the "A" setting (also painted green) by depressing the little black button nearby as you turn the ring. This will allow you to adjust F stops with the camera thumb wheel.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by DreTAX; 02-18-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: addition
02-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
DreTAX, this helps. thanks. I will play around with it. I have yet to really try this. As simple as your instruction are, it's not something I would not have necessarily discovered on my own! admittedly a dumb question. first zoom lens with macro.
02-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cadiddy Quote
DreTAX, this helps. thanks. I will play around with it. I have yet to really try this. As simple as your instruction are, it's not something I would not have necessarily discovered on my own! admittedly a dumb question. first zoom lens with macro.
Not a dumb question - I had to stumble about until I found this out too. Unlike the A35-105 which does close focusing at all focal lengths, the A70-210 is limited to the 70mm only if you want to use the macro focusing.