Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hand strap

Does anyone use a hand strap to hold their camera? Do they help steady your hand (in other words are they a worthwhile investment for regular photography, not video?

Any and all opinions welcome!

Randy

Last edited by slip; 02-18-2013 at 08:44 AM.
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one on my k-01. Would not use on the k-5. On the k-01 the grip is not good enough to fit my hand, so the hand strap holds it on and makes a sure comfortable grip. Shutter actuation is with the thumb though which takes a little practice.

On the k-5 I have the Op/tech sling strap. When in the studio I unclip the strap and clip the two camera mounted straps together, this leaves a short loop, about the size of a hand strap which is convenient when I am on the tripod almost all the time but want to take it off for something. Not as good as a regular hand strap, just something else to grab a hold of.
02-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a hand strap with my K10D. It makes for a safer carry one handed and takes the load off my neck. The odds of the lens falling off my hand are nil, unless the quite sturdy strap (I use the Pentax strap) should break. The drawback for me is that the grip controls cannot be used with the strap on the camera, making the vertical camera holding not as steady as it might be with the right elbow sticking up into the air. I use the strap with my DA lenses, not so much with the others. It doesn't bother the handling with the 400, although I do take it off in windy conditions to reduce the tripod shake, but with the 100 macro, in tight quarters, I have to take the strap off. it's fiddly to take off and put on again.
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I only use handstraps. When it isn't in my hand it is safe in a padded bag.