Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20d and built in flash

I don't use the built in flash with the k20d very often, but it really doesn't seem to perform as well as other in camera flashes I've used. Seems like it doesn't illuminate even close subjects well. Any suggestions to maximize performance?

Thanks

Steve

02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is great idea - TO NOT USE THE BUILT IN FLASH, EVER!!!

If you have to, try to play with ISO and aperture...
I have k20D too, I did not face with such issue as you described.
02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I thought I read that the K-7 flash popped up slightly higher than the K20D so my advice might be a little different than your experience.

It's limited in angle of coverage and power, so the first tip is to work within its limits. I have used mine with a 90mm macro lens for macro shots but the longer distances require shorter focal lengths.

Direct flash is not great anyway so you might try a diffuser. The power is even more of an issue with a diffuser.

I try to find some settings that let in ambient light, to reduce the "bright subject in deep black tunnel" effect. Try raising the ISO, even one stop beyond your normal upper limit. Set the shutter speed low, just barely enough to cope with shake or movement. Aperture should be pretty wide. This works by making the background brighter and reducing the amount of flash power needed. I can't say this always works but the shots look better. (Sometimes I get a secondary issue, the ambient light is a totally different color temperature.)

The built-in flash is always there and can help in an emergency, so it's worth experimenting with, not ignoring it.
02-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I don't use the built in flash with the k20d very often, but it really doesn't seem to perform as well as other in camera flashes I've used. Seems like it doesn't illuminate even close subjects well. Any suggestions to maximize performance?

Thanks

Steve
The K20 also has a flash exposure comp range of -2.0EV to +1.0EV, if you haven't already, try bumping it up to see if that helps.

02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to go to manual mode in these cases.