Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

What are downsides of using in-camera lens corrections?

Can anyone explain the downsides of using in-camera lens corrections? (eg, in a k-5 IIs, turning on distortion correction and chromatic aberration correction. The default is that these are set to off.)

Do experienced photographers normally make these corrections and, if so, is it done with editing software instead of in-camera?

Thanks.

-Kurt (k-5 IIs newbie)

02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It slows down the image review and I suppose the shot-to-shot speed.
02-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It slows the camera down. It's no big deal if you don't shoot bursts, but the camera won't reach its maximum frame rate with the corrections on.

I shoot in RAW and apply the corrections later if necessary. The software that came with the camera can apply all the in-camera adjustments later, except for ones like HDR that combine multiple frames into one JPG.
02-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

As has been said it slows the camera down and the correction is JPEG only.
If you shoot RAW you won't benefit from it and since i shoot RAW i don't use it.

I would turn it on if you shoot in JPEG with a zoom lens, primes hardly need any correction so it's less useful for them. Also the more expensive zooms don't really need it.

02-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i thought highlight and shadow correction was applied to raw images as well as jpegs is that not correct?
02-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #6

Hi,

some members reported with front focus/ back focus issues and need to spend a lot of time for body-len fine focus calibrations, can i ask how does this happened ? it is due to the knocking/dropped or loose parts from shutter/ mirror mechism from high speed burst ? If new camera tested with kit len is ok will it mean other most expensive lens will also be alrite ?
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
i thought highlight and shadow correction was applied to raw images as well as jpegs is that not correct?
highlight is but I'm not sure about shadows.
these are not lens corrections though.
to go on a bit the dynamic range corrections can also be done in post processing with more control and better results.

02-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lemonade Quote
Hi,

some members reported with front focus/ back focus issues and need to spend a lot of time for body-len fine focus calibrations, can i ask how does this happened ? it is due to the knocking/dropped or loose parts from shutter/ mirror mechism from high speed burst ? If new camera tested with kit len is ok will it mean other most expensive lens will also be alrite ?
think its better to start a new topic for that.
it comes down to tolerances inside the camera autofocus and the lens, every camera with phase auto focus has this problem.
so that one lens focus perfectly doesn't mean other should, it just mean the tolerances don't amplify each other.