Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah , so the camera is the bottle neck , and this is a Pentax Forum after all , so I guess Pro Canon and Nikon ... I understand ...

But there are other aspects - SD card life span / reliability / quality / price / and for me , price and quality are important .. What can you buy for $20 , how many read and writes is it rated for ( life span - reliability )

02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

For the K-5 in continuous mode, is there a point where the speed of the card makes no difference? How fast a card do you need to assure peak performance of the K-5 in continuous mode? Any help appreciated. Thanks
02-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Yeah , so the camera is the bottle neck , and this is a Pentax Forum after all , so I guess Pro Canon and Nikon ... I understand ...
this comment makes no sense you know, Canon and Nikon camera's of the same price have the same limet or are even more lmited.
The buffer of the D7000 and 60D are smaller for example, so you can not take as many contineus shots to begin with.
02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
For the K-5 in continuous mode, is there a point where the speed of the card makes no difference? How fast a card do you need to assure peak performance of the K-5 in continuous mode? Any help appreciated. Thanks
If you want to be save anything above 30MBps is getting the most out of the K5.

the differnce would be taking 20 or so compared to 23 frames.

To be honest i've yet to get in a situation i shot more then 10 frames in a row.

02-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gee , oh man I have to stay away from this thread , talk about regrets .. Ohhh , Im sure I said 'PRO' Canon or Nikon

Here is a Pro Canon Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS-1D X

Outstanding shooting performance: up to 12.0 fps continuous shooting (14.0 fps in Super High Speed Mode) using a UDMA CF card. ( CF card )

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS 5D Mark III ( CF and SD card )

Outstanding shooting performance: up to 6.0 fps continuous shooting using a UDMA CF card.

So does that mean , that the CF card can sustain 6fps continuous ?
02-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

There are two meanings of the word pro you know, it seems to me you clearly said that Pentax forums was pro Nikon or Canon.

Nope that's not sustained.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review: Digital Photography Review

No idea what the 1D X does.

As for CF vs SD cards, i've no idea why that makes a differnce. It all comes down to numbers.
95MBps SD card is of course faster as 60MBps CF card, strange right?
02-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If you want to be save anything above 30MBps is getting the most out of the K5.

the differnce would be taking 20 or so compared to 23 frames.

To be honest i've yet to get in a situation i shot more then 10 frames in a row.
Thanks, that is a big help for me in selecting cards.
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a great deal on a relative high performance128 GB SD card for $94.95 with free shipping. You need to call them to order since the web site says out of stock PNY Technologies 128 GB SDXC Memory Card P-SDX128U1-30-GE B&H

02-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok

Quote - From review ..

If you need to shoot continuously for sustained periods of time and can make do with a slower frame rate you can switch to the Continuous Lo mode. It offers a speed of 3 frames per second and, with a fast card, you can shoot at that speed until you run out of storage space on the memory card. ( Hmmm - OK so can a Pentax do this at all ? ) So 3fps , and runs till you run out of storage space - battery power - or you get a sore finger ...

Sorry , Im so bad at expressing myself ! ( " Yeah , so the camera is the bottle neck , and this is a Pentax Forum after all , so I guess Pro Canon and Nikon ... I understand ... " ) I meant PRO Nikon Canon as in the cameras themselves , rather than being Pro as in - in favor off . Im so terrible sometimes , cant express myself worth a bad penny ..
02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Sorry for reading it wrong ^^

I've never test the buffer of the lo mode, i think it will hit the limit though at 30 maybe 40 photos/
Thats with RAW, with jpeg i've no idea how it will be.
The K30 seems to handle JPEG much better, maybe it can do it?

But i remain with the question what the point is.
What kind of photography will need you to take 1000 photos of an event at 3fps? Thats not photography anymore, you're better of filming it maybe
I know you're intersting in these things but it's going past usefullness, it's like the PI test with computers.
02-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
hehehehe

Car racing ! Reno air racing ! Go Kart racing ... Dont know about 1000 photos ? Good to know the camera can do it though ..

What about NASCAR ! When the ( something ) hits the fan and half the field gets taken out , its good to know your camera wont stop until the carnage has stopped ...

I live walking distance from a Go Kart track , and years ago ( before 35mm Died or BD [ Before Digital ] ) I used to go down to the track and take photos ...

I got to say , its good to know a camera will run for how ever long it needs too ..

I can understand that some people want to take the time to work out light , framing etc to get the best possible picture , but sometimes , you just need power on your side ( the power to take as many pictures as you need to )
02-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

The buffer of the K5 holds 22 to 23 thats when using the highest continues mode means you can capture 3,5 seconds.
A crash won't take much longer then that i believe

Like said if you just want to record everything a videocamera might be better
02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster

How many seconds ?

Yeah , Im not really a video-ographer !